Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

YAMMT

Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default YAMMT

(Yet another Mathews Monster Thread)

Monster arrived at the shop-I gotta say it was a surprise.

I had just got off shooting my Am35 @ 60 pounds for an hour, and the Monster was a 29/70 maxed. The draw was NOT bad at all- certainly a lot better than an 82nd or X Force. And the valley was surprisingly comfy-locked in better than my AM35 or the Xforce. It ahd a slight bit of vibe (just the string stopper) and recoil was very very low. Noise was also very acceptable.

I did not chrono it, but no doubt she is screaming fast and the draw length was on the money. Dealer said they put a 28" module in it and got 328 @ 5 grains- thats with a loop and brass nock on the string.

I really was expecting it to be MUCH worse. I have my reservations about "pushing the envelope" with the limb loads, and a few other things, but I'll hold judgement and my tongue until they are in production and been out for a while.

It kicks the crap out the Reezen 6.5, thats for sure.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: YAMMT

Interesting stuff Jeff. It's funny how certain people will say the draw cycle sucked, while others will say it wasn't that bad. I personally thougth the draw cycle was rather harsh. Comparing this bow next to my Allegiance, was night and day. I shot the monster at 62lbs and it stlll felt like I was drawing 5-10lbs heavier than my 66lb allegiance.

It really goes to show you that it is really all in what you're used to.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Interesting stuff Jeff. It's funny how certain people will say the draw cycle sucked, while others will say it wasn't that bad. I personally thougth the draw cycle was rather harsh. Comparing this bow next to my Allegiance, was night and day. I shot the monster at 62lbs and it stlll felt like I was drawing 5-10lbs heavier than my 66lb allegiance.

It really goes to show you that it is really all in what you're used to.
I have to agree with that. Ive been shooting my proelite now for about a month and it is the smoothest drawing bow that i have personally ever owned, and now when i go to draw other bows, I REALLY notice the cycle a lot more. I still would never let draw cycle completely steer me away from any hunting rig, but it certainly is nice to have a smooth draw when you plan on shooting a bunch.

Im glad to hear that Mathews has gotten the speed rig right. It almost seems like soooo many of us were hoping for them to fail in the speed game, and since the Monster has been showing up, people are so surprised b/c its actually not a complete POS. Its like people were setting it up for failure right away w/out even knowing or shooting it yet. (im not pointing any fingers at you Jeff)

derek
Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the draw is conerned, I'm talking relatively. I expected a pull worthy of it's name, and it was def less harsh than that. It's still a speed bow though. I think a 60 pounder would be pretty manageable for the woods.

Now maybe at 30" its really brutal, maybe it's quite sensitive to cam synch, (actually I'm sure that it will be), and of course yes we are all different, but I was really surprised the draw was as decent as it was. a 70 pound Xforce was FAR tougher on my muscles, as was the 82nd.

For you old dogs, it reminded me of the old Hoyt performa cams circa 1998 with a slightly nicer roll off into the valley.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

I had the opportunity to shoot quite a few arrows off of one this weekend. I was suprised at how smooth it was at the shot for being as fast as it is. I didn't play around to much with a chrono, but the guys at the shop were talking some numbers that would make me really consider it for a hunting rig.

We did install the Mathew string suppressor installed, and it definitely tamed the bow down at the shot.

As far as the draw cycle, I've been shooting nothing but Hoyt cam1/2's since they came out in 2003, so this bow felt quite a bit different to me. I did the like the wall on it, rock solid. The draw cycle.......well I could get used it, not a big deal. I'm going to have plenty of chances to play with it some more, and it's definitely one of the 2 bows I'm considering for my hunting rig this year. It and the Alphamax 32. I loved the AM when I shot it, but I'm not making a decision till I spend more time with the Monster. The Monster definitely kicked the Reezen out of contention, I like it alot more. But I'm not sure if it will beat the AM 32 for me. The 6" BH is what "bothers" me the most, not enough to deter me from purchasing it, but I prefer 7" BH for a hunting rig when I'm wearing a coat. I just can't help thinking they will build a 7" BH Monster next year.....

I did shoot the Monster right next to myh '07 Vectrix. I will say it's going to be hard to give up the Vectrix for the Monster.. I love that Vectrix..

I can't even use the color choices as a factor.........as I'm dead set on a blacked out hunting bow....and both bows are offered in all black. Dangit this is tough this year !!