Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Default HELP!!!

I just figured out the day before yesterday that I am Left Eye Dominate. All of my equipment, bow, sight, rest, quiver, is RH. This is not the fault of the Pro Shop as I purchased my bow on E-Bay and all he did was set it up for me. I have been shooting RH since I purchased my bow in late October 08. I know this is a beginner's mistake and the fix will be expensive. What benefits would I be most likely to experience by switching to a LH setup? Do the benefits justify the expense? What can be done to compensate for this issue until I can afford to change my setup? Can I shoot my RH bow LH, or should I just start saving for a LH setup?

HELP!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Default RE: HELP!!!

I am left eye dominant but shoot r/h. There are a few drawbacks to this I guess but I have been shooting like that since I started and am not really into changing.
Here is a recent thread talking about that question.\
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3342951

Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

with compounds and peeps, its a minor inconvienence to be Left eye dom and shoot right. Its nice having that field of view with left eye and right eye on your site.

I was right eye dom and shot rh for years and years. And I had a chainsaw incident in 1994 and slowly because left eye dominant. So I stayed right handed for bows but changed to left for pistol.

If your new right now, I say try to change over to left handed shooting. I have been on hog hunts where i missed because thru the excitment I was shooting with my left eye and ended up hitting way to the left. With the excitement of dogs flying in the air, and hogs trying to run over you, sometimes you use the wrong eye.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 AM

If your left eye dominant just close your left eye and your right will take over. I don't have any experience with this and hadn't really thought of the drawbacks big country mentioned. It would probably be wise to switch quickly if you are going to so that you don't develope any bad habits. I started shooting with one eye closed and am trying to learn to shoot with both open now. You can get a better visual of where you hit the animal, which is a problem I sometimes have.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IADeerHunter16

If your left eye dominant just close your left eye and your right will take over. I don't have any experience with this and hadn't really thought of the drawbacks big country mentioned. It would probably be wise to switch quickly if you are going to so that you don't develope any bad habits. I started shooting with one eye closed and am trying to learn to shoot with both open now. You can get a better visual of where you hit the animal, which is a problem I sometimes have.
+1, works for me, I shoot right handed because my LEFT shoulder is BAD, but I'm lefty with guns, etc, but to try to draw a bow Lefty doesn't even feel natural now after 15 yrs of shooting Righty.