Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows >

Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows

Old 03-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows

I did shoot a bunch of different bows lat night checking out some things for grins while the lanes were tied up with lessons and whatnot.

I shot the ELite Z28 a bit more, a BowTech SWAT, a Diamond Nitrous (? looked like a Marquis, but diff cam and no rollerguard), Mathews S2 (re-badged Switchback), A Bear Truth 2. I think that was it-

I gotta admit- I do prefer the draw on those single cam bows- smooth start/smooth finish, no humps, no bumps. I'm finding in my old age, I don't mind giving up the FPS like I did when Iwas younger- I don't enjoy "working" to shoot a bow (or play a guitar).

I will say that the BowTech SWAT was def the smoothest binary I've messed with yet pound for pound- the Allegiance next to it was quite a bit stiffer and even the ELite rev cams were more stout- The SWAT def occupied the middle-ground between the harder binaries and the smoother singles. EDIT- Should mention the bow had a little vibe/recoil but def tameable with Limbsavers and a stablizer. I also noticed it had "old style" limb buttons at the forks.

The Nitrous was very smooth as mentioned and had just a slight "ring" in the riser when shot- a stab would likely take it out, and Limbsavers would DEF take it out. It was super quiet. Any of you BT staffers know what the deal is with this bow?

The grip on Z28 (2008.5 model) though looking similar, has a markedly different feel than the grip on the GT500 and it was not comfortable for me. The GT-500 is much more ergonomic and repeatable. I did not chrono it, but it's obviously fast as hell- for 8" brace height its pretty sick how fast it is. Has some thump and noise, but nothing major- tameable.

The S2- I know there is little love for Mathews on these boards or others, but I"m a fan (albeit not a fanboy). I like many of his bows, and I've owned a bunch. I think the S2/Switchback is pretty much the best thing he has ever built. I had a Switchback, and it's got the right amount of reflex and mass weight, the best combo of smooth draw,speed with proper nock travel and accuracy, Holds like a sinper rifle on a bipod, is scary quiet and doesn't move at the shot. None of the goofiness of his more recent bows like the Reezen and Drenalin. The only improvement it needs IMO is a draw stop like the outback had. I'd buy this S2 in a heartbeat. Phenomenal bow.

Bear Truth II- The big rubber block grip has got to go, but this another smooth, quiet shooting bow. A bit of string oscillation/vibe but the bow is very fun to shoot- the machining/fit & finish is really good . It had a nice non jerky valley. WC string and cables is a big plus ! (and sorry but I love the green/orange motiff on the bow- reminds me of fall/halloween and hunting season).

Lost of good equipment out there these days-very little "junk".
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows

Jeff, the Nitrous was made especially for a customer... I think it was Sportsman's Warehouse?... initially; then after theyhad their run with it I believe it's starting to show up at a few other places. Not 100% sure as it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all the private-label bows we make these days.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Just go back and get the Admiral,, we have a new handshake!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Jeff, the Nitrous was made especially for a customer... I think it was Sportsman's Warehouse?... initially; then after theyhad their run with it I believe it's starting to show up at a few other places. Not 100% sure as it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all the private-label bows we make these days.
Thanx Greg- I know he has about 6 of them in the back room- do you know how the cam differs from the P5 on the Marquis? It looks just like a Marquis riser, but with no roller guard/supressor and the slightly different cam shape. It's not like the cam on the Black Ice or a freedom cam type thing. I didn't check the brace but I figured it to be around 7".

Regardless- very smooth to draw, smooth to shoot, and quiet- reminded me of my old BT Liberty. Nice bow. I think it was priced about $100 less than the Marquis too.

Russ I sold the Admiral (ships tomorrow) and the GT-500 and hence the added frustration since I don't have the "backup" now. Bottom line I jumped the gun /acted rashly and should have taken more time with my selection for "the one". Dumb mistake on my part [:'(]
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Grerg/Mo is correct. Bowtech/Diamond had a bunch of leftover bodies from the Marquis so I guess they made a bow specially for Sportsmans warehouse -- at least that is what everyone has been saying. I thought the cams were the same as the Marquis? I thought the only difference was no rollerguard. One of the dealers around here said it is kind of a cross between the BI and Marquis -- WELL DUH.... sure looks that way to me
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

Grerg/Mo is correct. Bowtech/Diamond had a bunch of leftover bodies from the Marquis so I guess they made a bow specially for Sportsmans warehouse -- at least that is what everyone has been saying. I thought the cams were the same as the Marquis? I thought the only difference was no rollerguard. One of the dealers around here said it is kind of a cross between the BI and Marquis -- WELL DUH.... sure looks that way to me
I checked it back to back with the MArquis sitting next to it- same riser/limbs, but the cams are different- unless the Marquis got a cam upgrade for 08 and the Nitrous is from 07 or something like that. Def different shaped cams- The Nitrous's cam doesnt quite have that straight edge from where the string tracks off towards the top limb. It's got a bit more of a Teardrop shape turned 45 degrees or so.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff- If you are looking for a smooth drawing single cam that is a definate shooter, I would look at the PSE BowMadness line. I really like those bows and they seem to shoot really well. Obviously, they arent junk. The fit and finish is pretty much the same as the Xforce w/out the 80o+$ price tag[:@] They are super quiet, plenty fast (slower than the Xforce) and are vibe/shock free. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot one

Derek
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, that's not a Marquis cam on it; the Marquis cam remained the same through the model change.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff,

If you are still lookin' through bows then please look around a bit and find one of the Ross Carnivore's to try. I know it sounds like I am beating a dead horse but I believe it would fit your preferences quite nicely.

...plus you will love that little "Crank" device....the simplicity of it..and yet it makes such a big difference.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heh- I'm not looking for a new bow.....yet

I was just shooting some things while the lanes were full and after I had stopped shooting myself.

Frank- get on the horn to Jerid and have BT send them a demo 34 (70 pounder!), and then I can try one

Quick Reply: Unrelated to my Frustration- Checked out some bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.