Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shot a couple bows yesterday.... >

shot a couple bows yesterday....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shot a couple bows yesterday....

Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default shot a couple bows yesterday....

well guys, yesterday i went to the pro shop and test shot a couple bows. the first one i shot was the S.W.A.T. to tell you the truth it was an odd feeling draw cycle, but i think that maybe its cuz i've never shot a binary cam bow before. it had a very solid wall, which surprised me as well. when i shot it, it had very little hand shock and was fast and quiet. a solid smooth shooter. the second one i shot was the ross cardiac. i liked the draw cycle on this bow much better, but i think thats because i've been shooting a single cam bow for the past 7 or 8 years. the hand shock was literally next to nothing. it was very dead in the hand, but this bow was fully dressed out as compared to the swat, so i think this made a difference. honestly, the difference to me in these bows was the draw cycle. the cardiac i thought was much easier to draw, but it is it smart to pick a bow based solely on draw cycle? what do you guys think?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot a couple bows yesterday....

I wouldn't pick a bow based on draw cycle, but your not me so if you want a bow with a smother draw cycle then go for it! But honestly i think you will adjust to the draw cycle of any bow pretty quick. Thats why i will never buy a bow based on draw cycle cuz i know ill adjust. But its really up to you, buy what fits you.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

I wouldn't pick a bow based on draw cycle, but your not me so if you want a bow with a smother draw cycle then go for it! But honestly i think you will adjust to the draw cycle of any bow pretty quick. Thats why i will never buy a bow based on draw cycle cuz i know ill adjust. But its really up to you, buy what fits you.
X2 Neither would I

I think your muscles adjust rapidly to a new draw cycle unless you are just over bowed.

The Swat is probably a minimum of 10fps faster than the Cardiac, but it boils down to what you like. They'll both Git-R-Done!

Dan
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

X2 Neither would I

I think your muscles adjust rapidly to a new draw cycle unless you are just over bowed.

The Swat is probably a minimum of 10fps faster than the Cardiac, but it boils down to what you like. They'll both Git-R-Done!

Dan

thanks guys... this is kinda what i figured. the bow i have now i'm pulling 68 pounds absolutely no problem.the swat was originally set at 70 but the guy turned down to around 60 or so cuz i was readyto bust a nut. once i'mused to the draw cycle though, it mightget a whole lot better.i'm thinkin i might go with the swat because it is a bit faster, and i like the 'looks' of it better.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

bowhuntn87, it's also a good idea when test firing a bow and thinking of buying it to set the draw length correct.

It can change the way the bow feels to You drastically!

Dan
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

if you can find a dealer shoot the Mission line(i did and took the x3 home)you might be very surprised and save some $$$ for goodies to put on ur new bow!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're used to a solocam bow, the binary cams will feel funny to you for a bit. It did me, even coming from a cam 1/2 system back in 05 when the binary cam out. It only took me a week or two to really get the feel of it and truely appreciate what the cams were doing. In the early versions, they stacked weight almost immediately, then slowly relaxed into the valley. It really was a pleasure to draw. Being that all of your strengh is at the front of the draw cycle, it almost felt as though the draw cycle was tailored to the human body.

The new ones....eh....not so much. For some reason, they put the weight further back in the cycle and it just doesn't feel as good to me. Case in point. I compared an 09 Captain to my 07 Allegiance with smooth mods. Both bows set at 65lbs. The Captain felt as if I was pulling more weight.It had a distinct "hump" to get over that well, I just couldn't get over.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

muzzy, that's exactly what it felt like. the first time i drew it felt almost like i was pulling a recurve for 90% of the draw cycle, (compared to my single cam anyway) then it suddenly broke over. i actually slammed the string into the back of the wall cuz i wasn't used to it. the bow was also set to my regular draw length. i think i'm still gonna go with it and buy it, and hopefully my muscles and i adjust to it quickly.