Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1 eye or 2

Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1 eye or 2

Do any of you two eye shooters wear glasses?

I do and it seems impossible for me to shoot with two eyes open wearing glasses.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GFY_Camp

Do any of you two eye shooters wear glasses?

I do and it seems impossible for me to shoot with two eyes open wearing glasses.
I used to have glasses, ive got contacts now, but ishot with both eyes when i had glasses and i did fine.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made the switch to left handed last spring for this very reason. With that being sad, I'm starting to drift back into the habit of squinting my non-dominant eye a bit. It's not that I can't shoot with both eyes open, I just seem to do fine the way I'm currently shooting. I may practice a bit more on it this spring, but I just shot a 293-11x Vegas round today, so I'm not sure if I could improve any points with both eyes open or not.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way in h-e--double hockey sticks I can shoot both eyes open- I'm right handed left eye dominant- I've shot both ways, right handed and left handed- have to close one eye regardless- see two of each pin otherwise and they show up pretty far apart. (I also have astigmitism(sp) and this may make matters worse)

Shooting a shotgun was a problem at first as well (used to shoot skeet and alot of upland birds/game/ and waterfowl)- after awhile I started to notice I'd always roll my head over far enough to get my left eye over the vent rib- but it still messed with my sight picture as things always happen too quick shooting birds and I couldn't get focused. Finally started closing my eye and all was good

You do lose some field of view and depth perception, but I can assure you I'd end up shooting every deer in the neck or in the stomach if I didn't close one eye, regardless.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that a lot of y'all who are shooting with one eye closed are putting WAY too much emphasis on "aiming". You aim when you are shooting with a scope at indoor spots using clarifyers and all that trash (well its not trash but you know what I'm getting at).

I shoot both eyes open. Always have. All my focus and concentration is on exactly what I want to hit. I notice the pin... and sure its a little fuzzy... I have 20/15 perfect fighter pilot eyes too. I focus on my target, notice the pin... and before the arrow is gone I can see the nock going right to where I want it... then there is a woosh.

Nobody is dead rock steady.... just cannot happen... you focus on that one small spot and make a good shot and its going to happen.

For hunting... you should absolutely be shooting both open... folks who complain about not being able to see through their peeps are near always shooting one closed. If you are left eye dominant... you should be shooting left handed.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Eye dominance is not overwhelming either way and does vary. I am left handed, but do many things right handed as well as left handed. I shoot with one eye closed because that's what will work for me.

As far as depth perception and field of view. All I need to see is what I'm shooting at and I've done got the range down at that point.

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mfd1027

Both open. Increases your FOV, makes it a lot easier to shoot under low light conditions and I think it helps with target panic. Now of course you have to be rt. eye dominant for a rt. hand shooter and left eye dominant for a left hand shooter to be able to do it.

MOhunter-I dont think thats accurate. My buddy is left eye dominate and shoots right handed, shoots with both eyes open and he is an awsome shot.

MOhunter- INHO I think I'm rt. on this one. If your bud is left eye dominant and he can shoot accurately rt. handed with both eyes open he's the exception.

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I think that a lot of y'all who are shooting with one eye closed are putting WAY too much emphasis on "aiming".
Probably true for many people, but not always. I'm not forcing my pin anywhere. I let it float, and concentrate on the general location that it needs to float in, and keep it there as I let my back muscles do the work for me. I think it's certainly EASIER to concentrate on one point with both eyes open, and it also allows the pin to be taken out of focus, but for me, I seem to take one or the other too FAR out of focus with both eyes open. When I shoot with both eyes open and concentrate on just the spot, I don't pay any attention to my pin, and I usually drop low.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

2 eyes open for everything except rifle scopes on higher powers...

i started shooting better when i started shooting both eyes opened...
Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I shoot one eye closed. Left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I've tried both open but I miss the target.

You can train your eyes to cross dominate so it is possibe, it takes a long time and is activity specific. I shoot a shotgun right handed with both eyes open. I have no trouble with this but if I try to shoot the bow with both eyes I don't even hit the target.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.