HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   1 eye or 2 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/285834-1-eye-2-a.html)

killzonearchery 02-09-2009 08:10 AM

1 eye or 2

I have always shot with one eye open lookin through my peep and the other closed. I was at a shot sunday and relized alot of other people shot both open. Now i would like to no, how do u all shot. One open or both open?

txjourneyman 02-09-2009 08:18 AM

RE: 1 eye or 2

Both open.I learned here to do that. I have a much better field of view. And what if I'm aiming at a doe with one eye closed and I miss seeing that booner out of the corner of my other eye?

killzonearchery 02-09-2009 08:21 AM

that is a very good point

mfd1027 02-09-2009 09:31 AM

Both open. Increases your FOV, makes it a lot easier to shoot under low light conditions and I think it helps with target panic. Now of course you have to be rt. eye dominant for a rt. hand shooter and left eye dominant for a left hand shooter to be able to do it.

Dan

07tomkat 02-09-2009 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I have always shot with one eye open lookin through my peep and the other closed. I was at a shot sunday and relized alot of other people shot both open. Now i would like to no, how do u all shot. One open or both open?
Good question killzone. I also shoot with only 1 eye open but now that you raise the point, would probably be more beneficial to shoot with both eyes open. Can't wait to hear some more responses on this question.

KodiakArcher 02-09-2009 10:19 AM

Both open. With one eye closed you lose depth perception and ability to estimate yardage. You also loose field of view as txj and mfd pointed out.

ILLUSION HUNTER 02-09-2009 02:33 PM

I wish I could figure out how to shoot with both eyes open. I have a string splitter peep so it should be easy to shoot with both eyes open but I cannot seem to focus the pin on the target with both eyes open? Not sure why but I'm going to pratice this summer.

KodiakArcher 02-09-2009 02:38 PM

Have you checked your eye dominance to see if you're shooting with the correct eye? If you're shooting out of your non-dominant eye you'll have to close your dominant one.

MOhunter46 02-09-2009 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mfd1027

Both open. Increases your FOV, makes it a lot easier to shoot under low light conditions and I think it helps with target panic. Now of course you have to be rt. eye dominant for a rt. hand shooter and left eye dominant for a left hand shooter to be able to do it.

Dan
I dont think thats accurate. My buddy is left eye dominate and shoots right handed, shoots with both eyes open and he is an awsome shot.

dogboy900 02-09-2009 02:58 PM

I shoot both open.
I used to shoot instinctively until last year and I had real trouble changing to a sight till I started keeping both open.

If you are having trouble focusing the pin on the target try focusing on the target and just having the pin float there, rather than trying to bring the pin into focus, thats what works for me.