Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2 or 3 years from now >

2 or 3 years from now

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2 or 3 years from now

Old 04-17-2003, 10:38 AM

Default 2 or 3 years from now

first we had the compound ,anyone remember the old four wheelers? and the brackets, then came the split limb two wheeler, (please forgive me if i go out of order),jumping ahead a little then came then solo cam ,can you say dynabow, then mathews perfected the solo cam , now there is the cam& 1/2 , so what could possibly be next?
Old 04-17-2003, 10:52 AM

Default RE: 2 or 3 years from now

I don' t think anyone has perfected the single cam let alone Mathews. Draw force curves can' t improve much because the consumer has a limit as to what is an acceptable amount of work to get the bow to full draw. Ideal weights for hunting and accuracy is a personal thing but I think you' ll see a move away from the super light weight bows. I think reduced frictional systems will add to speed and comfort and dual cam bows will gain more sales as will the hybrids like the Cam.5 and CPS. Single cam bows will always be the king of quiet but there are ways to make the dual cam quieter and smoother and easier to tune. I think the single cam days are limited to the time frame you stated.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:16 AM

I don' t know a whole lot about bows , but wouldn' t a fast wheel bow be the ultimate ? I have never heard any negatives but speed !
Mathews has the Icon at 300 fps and BT has the Pro40 Wheely at 303-312 fps . If these bows could produce that or a little more speed in a smaller ATA bow , wouldn' t that be an awesome hunting bow ?

Old 04-17-2003, 12:11 PM

The Pro 40 Wheely would be a great hunting bow for those cold hunts where stiffness settles in on stand. THE FIRST SHOT COUNTS !!!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Concentric wheels (like the Icon) but in a hybrid layout or pure twin cam. Use the cable track alone to control the force-draw curve. Bias weighted cams like the BK cams to reduce recoil by weight moving in the opposite direction as the limb tips (perimeter weighting effect without royalties). Sealed ball bearings. Choice of limb configurations to allow for various brace heights. Should be smooth to draw and shoot, with perfect nock travel possible.

Further development of the Fury X system is another good direction to explore.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM

I' m not sure what direction cams might take, but I think we' ll be seeing bows that are stronger, lighter, absorb more vibration, are quieter and that reduce friction in the system. I' m hoping for better technology for the finish (paint job), and I think there is room for great improvement in accessories, like sights and rests. Unfortunately, I doubt that any of this will do much for raising my scores when target shooting. Some things will always be left to the shooter - which is a good thing.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will agree with most of what is said.....except the move away from super light bows.

After switching to a lighter bow after shooting an old relic that weighed more than 2 of my current bows. I will never switch to a heavy bow, the difference in weight when hunting in the mountains was the biggest signifigant gain of my new bow. Never realized just how heavy my old bow was until I had my new one in colrado and hiked up and down the mountains all day.

The weight of the bow is a top priority in a lot of the hunters I know today.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:50 PM

I agree. Alot of HUNTERS want light bows. I am not sure what all we will see. I can think of a few nice things that could happen. I don' t think there is going to be any " earth shaking" breakthroughs in archery, atleast any time soon. We already have single, hybrid, dual, and triple cam bows.

I am expecting to see dual cams have some major renovations done that will all but destroy single cam bows. I bet that parrallel limb design and vertical force technology are going to really take off.

One thing that I think will happen, probablly within the next few years, is that bows will be broken into two different categories, hunting and target.

Hunting bows will be short, very fast, and light, while being built for the outdoors (tougher camo, stronger and more weather resistant parts, ect)

Target bows will be longer, heavier, slower, and balanced better for accuracy that can' t even be understood now.

I was thinking about hydraulic risers, gel filled limbs, titanium risers, and other things to reduce noise, shock, and weight while increasing strength and durability.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

A Pro 40 Wheely with VFT that will shoot about 320 fps would be nice.

There is only so much you can do with a draw force curve to store more energy and still be shootable, so subtle refinements must be made to squeeze more performance out of future bows. Minimizing friction and making bows more durable I think are two areas that will be looked at. High country is making the attempt, and think it is a step in the right direction, but I' m not confident in them being the company to pull it off.