Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Admiral performance is very impressive! >

Admiral performance is very impressive!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Admiral performance is very impressive!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Admiral performance is very impressive!

Isn't it great when a bow exceeds your expectations/hopes?

Had some difficulty working with the tight string angle of the Admiral- nock pinch. The only thing that would not lift up off the rest and to the side during the draw were G-nocks. X nocks, S nocks, etc- no good. So I went to work tying a nock in underneath the arrow nock with just a small gap. First tie-in nock was too small and there was too much space for the arrow to shift around. Added some material and then it was too big and I was back to pinching. Being that I've not tied in a nock in so many years and add to the fact I was NEVER good at it anyway, you could say I was losing what little patience I had[:@] My friend Tommy at the shop saw my frustration , took the bow from me and got it working right. That big tie-in is not even close to pretty but it works. So now I have the Dave Cousins type loop setup going on. ALONG WITH a brass nock on top of the top loop knot. Tommy puts a brass nock above the loop on all the bows he sets up as "insurance". I usually take them off if he sets up a bow for me, but with the acute string angle and worry about slippage, I decided to leave it on until I found some more patience to tie another nock in to replace it.

After messing around trying to figure out what arrow I'd go with, I finally settled on a half dozen pre-fletched CX Maxima 3D Selects they had (350s). They were my fave blazer colors-Although not my favorite all carbon arrow there is no denying the quality-I know that CX have tight spine & weight, and the 3D Selects have always been super straight even full length. The ICSH, ST Axis, FMJs, and ACC were a bit to quite a heavier than I wanted now that I had to move up to a .340 class shaft. Finshed weights of the 3D Selects are 374.5 to 375.5 grains. Lighter than I wanted but not by much.

So with this longer (heavier) than usual loop to compensate for the big ugly (heavy) tie nock, a (heavy) brass nock, Meta peep, and factory silencers-along with the fact that I had shortened the draw from 29" to 28.5" over the weekend , I was not hopeful in the least to be pleased when I shot through the chronograph- despite the light arrow (yes I know- I said I'd try not to shoot through the chrono- I caved, sue me ).

So again- 28.5" draw Admiral, 71 pounds, heavy loop, big ugly tie in nock, heavy brass nock, meta peep, all the factory silencers, 375 grain arrow. I said a little archery prayer "if it does 275 I'll be happy- really...275 FPS and I'll be happy, I swear, 275 FPS is just fine..I'm OK with 275" Then I let her rip.

290 FPS first shot
290 FPS second shot

Considering the brace height, draw length, junk on the string, and absolute silence and lack of recoil, I'm tickled pink. I've had plenty of bows that would zip a light arrow along at 290-300 FPS, but I've never shot anything remotely this fast that felt like shooting a kids bow with a 500 grain arrow. Yes the draw is pretty stout (though the drop to 28.5" inches cut down alot of the back end load up),but this bow at full draw and at the shot is amazing. Kudos to Bowtech (now if they could just get them to draw like the freedom cam, it would be perfect!)
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Admiral performance is very impressive!

Sounds like a nice bow. Why don't they make it in 32" draw length?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

JeffB, a lot of people have described the admiral as feeling like a longer ata bow even though its ata is short. Would you say you felt that too?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DetLieut

Like many short bows, just not possible unless they really jacked up the brace height. That said, if nock pinch at 28.5" is bad, I guarantee 32" is gonna drive you insane

Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: DetLieut

Like many short bows, just not possible unless they really jacked up the brace height. That said, if nock pinch at 28.5" is bad, I guarantee 32" is gonna drive you insane
I don't understand your nock pinch dilemna Jeff at 28.5" because I too shot 28.5" on my Admiral. I tie nocksets above and below my arrow nock and use a standard BCY loop, (as seen in Greg/MO's thread at the top) nothing more and I have NO nock pinch. Neither with my large CXL nocks (3D) or G nock on my ACC's.

With a heavy Super Peep with Verifier lens,

At 71 lbs, 380 grain arrow I'm seeing 293 at 28.5". At 63 lbs, 316 grain arrow I'm see 300 fps. I'm very impressed with this as well.

And as far as the question about ATA, I feel it does exceed the feel of a short bow.

Amazingly quiet too.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Jeff, I'm shooting mine at 29 inch draw with 340 Axis for hunting with a loop and Carter Quickie. I don't get any nock pinch with my set up. I have a small tied-in below the nock and nothing but the loop knot above. Got a picture of your set up?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

JeffB, a lot of people have described the admiral as feeling like a longer ata bow even though its ata is short. Would you say you felt that too?

I've not heard that, but I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement. Its extremely well balanced and with the CP riser design it has a very neutral (in a good way) feel compared to a hard reflex like so many other bows. It holds/aims VERY well- especially considering the A2A. The Captain does too. Ugly or not, ergonomically there are some noticeable advantages to the CP riser design.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good numbers considering the weight on the string and the fact that you have an adjustable draw cam.You are losing some fps for that but not much.

How is the draw length measuring out?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp
I have a small tied-in below the nock and nothing but the loop knot above. Got a picture of your set up?
Russ- Now I have mine setup like yours- other than my tie in is big and ugly (along with the brass nock above the top not of the loop).

No camera at the moment so it would be

brass nock
top knot of loop
arrow nock
very small gap
big ugly tie in nock
bottom knot of loop

Rob- The nock pinch was with just using a straight loop- no tie ins (which I've not had issue with on other 31"-ish bows) Your setup alleviates the problem. (and BTW is very sweet! looks great- I caved and ordered a Limb Driver myself, we'll see how I like it)

Once I get rid of the brass nock and tie in a nock there I'll pick up a few FPS as well, though I'm not concerned.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

I've not heard that, but I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement. Its extremely well balanced and with the CP riser design it has a very neutral (in a good way) feel compared to a hard reflex like so many other bows. It holds/aims VERY well- especially considering the A2A. The Captain does too. Ugly or not, ergonomically there are some noticeable advantages to the CP riser design.

I agree whole heartedly and have from the moment BT came out with the design,the idea is not a new one but to my knowledge,no one has ever done it the way BT does.

I even gave them a try with the guardian but the draw cycle was just something I couldn't get past and the rounded grip that was on the guardian was just something I can't shoot.Of course if the draw cycle would have been manageble,I could get an aftermarket grip.

Quick Reply: Admiral performance is very impressive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.