Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning?? >

Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Old 03-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

I have paper tuned my bow to shoot perfect bullet hole paper tears out to 15 yards. Is bare shaft tuning more accurate for setting up a bow? If it is, how is it done?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Honestly, I haven't taken my tuning that far yet.
I got it going well with paper at a few distances, and then tweaked with broadheads.
Didn't have the time to go any further with it last year, and I knew I was changing some stuff this summer, so I just limited my hunting shots to 25 yards, and left it at that.

So, that said, I believe it amplifies small tuning errors that are not as noticable when paper tuning fletched shafts.
The bare shafts will impact differently downrange because they do not have the fletch to correct the flight.
The bare arrow's flight is completely dependant upon the arrow's nodes leaving the bow with the correct timing in relation to all of the other forces that are at work.

The method of exactly how it is done, I will leave to somebody who has actually done it.

-Bulz
Nice signature.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

LRT,

You will never hunt or shoot competition with bare shafts so why waste your time tuning with them, jmo.
Plus the spine changes when you add feathers anyway.
I have never and will never bare shaft tune.
But if anyone wants to and doesn't agree, knock yourself out.

Sag.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
pah

Go to eastonarchery.com and download their tuning guide, it covers a number of different tuning techniques in detail.
I beleive there are better ways to tune a bow than bare shaft tuning.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even paper tune. I adjust the rest until the bare shaft hits with the fletched and call it good. I can have a bow tuned in about 20 minutes. I have never had broadhead flight problems and ended up very well in the 3-D ranks using this method. I find that when I am done using this method that my arrows will group consistantly about the size of a quarter at 30 yards. Give it a try and see how it works. Just an intersting note. Terry Ragsdale set a world record, and when asked to shoot through paper ,that same bow shot a 4 inch tear. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:34 AM

Just cut the fletching off and see how your arrow flies. You really don't need to shoot through paper you can see the arrow in flight. If it flies perfectly straight then you're fletching doens't need to do much work. I think it's the best way to get perfect broadhead flight because it minimizes the need for fletching.
Insatiable
Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

long_round, Easton's web page has the basics, but run a search on bare shaft tuning. There are quite a few in depth, step by step instructions available. Paper tuning is a tool for finding center shot. After that, you are wasting your time. Bare shaft tuning will fine tune your setup from release to impact on the target. This technique will align center shot, establish the correct nock point setting and fine tune your set up to a point your field tips and broadheads will fly true and impact straight on at the same spot on the target. You will never have to worry about one sight setting for field tips and another for broadheads. Your arrow flight will be identical with either tip.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the great advise folks!!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:14 AM

i was shooting a bare shaft yesterday from 40 yds, and it flew fine. i thought it would be ok to shoot it from 70 with a group of other arrows. it looked good until about 20 yds from the target and then did things i would have felt were against the laws of physics had i not seen them for myself.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 AM

When you shoot too far the effects of the wind, and minute arrow imperfections etc. take over. Unless its indoors and not wind I don't think you can judge whats happening past 30 - 40 yds or so. Just my thoughts.
Insatiable

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain bare shaft tuning??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.