Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Going Without A Peep Sight!!!!  Leads to a Robinhood. >

Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

C903,

The no-peep is not a sight. It is an alignment devise, similar in concept to a kisser, but more precise. It confirms alignment of your eye precisely on the same plane in relationship to the devise each time (if you choose to use it). It can be affected by both the grip and the anchor. It doesn' t enable perfection, but it does a darn good job at getting one to repeat the same grip and same anchor on each shot. The important thing is, you don' t have to use it when it' s attached to your bow. I have one on my bow and only glance at it occasionally when practicing. When hunting, I don' t even think of it. I draw my bow to a trained anchor and grip with remarkable consistency (at least it' s remarkable for me). If it were to break the no-peep off the bow in the field (highly unlikely), I doubt I would even notice its absence.

It is not something I recommend using in the field. To me, it' s real benefit is as a training aid to develop a consistant grip and anchor. You can make a perfect shot without looking at it, once you' ve learned to replicate your grip and anchor.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

c903, if I did not convey my thoughts clearly, I apologize.

I tried to state that using no peep system at all could easily still produce accuracy enough to be an effective hunter.

And I agree that long shots on game should be treated with care.

That being said, I have yet to see anybody competing in 3-d or spot shooting at a high level that would entertain the idea of going without a peepsight.

I know that is not hunting, as I tried to state in my last post.

And while I have no knowledge of the fairly new no peep type stuff, I can say that with todays string materials, you should never have a problem with a peepsight not turning correctly, or failing in any way.

As I did state in the last post, when you run out of light with a hunting peep, you are more than likely past legal shooting time anyhow.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:37 PM

Set everything up and sighted in some carbons today. Going from aluminum, this was my first time to try carbons and actually change my site for them and the flatter trajectory. Replacing a nock every now and then from the occasional robinhood, to carbons, which explode the back of the arrow. Totally trashing it, as I found out today. My first robinhood with a carbon.[:-]
Old 04-15-2003, 08:19 PM

Big Country

No apology necessary. Just playing the " Devil' s Advocate."

I always try to keep in mind that there are, most likely, hundreds of readers who come here to HNC looking for information and/or solutions, but never post. Therefore, the more we strain a subject, the better the information base.

Provocation invites response.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:12 PM

Well I' ve never really considered a piece of metal with a hole in it a complex piece of bowhunting hardware prone to failure.I too like the KISS method.It' s just alot easier for me to shoot accurately with a peep.Using a large apperature by the time you can' t see the pin it' s past legal shooting hours.As for peep alignment if you set it up properly or better yet use a string loop it' s not an issue.I just don' t see using a peep as a big handicap.

CB
Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

c903,

Straightarrow pretty much posted my reply to you regarding your last post. To put it in another perspective, think of the No-Peep in the same terms as a wrist strap. It is there if you need it but you do not have to use it. Both are initially used to help with form issues but after repeated use their actual application becomes somewhat secondary. I still have a wrist strap on the bow but sometimes forget to use it and yet my groupings do not change. The same could be said of the No-Peep. It is a " training aid" as Straightarrow put it.

In one statement, the manufacturer indicates that the device is to assist in developing proper shooting form, in another statement the manufacturer indicates that the device is sighting accessory and replaces the need for any type of rear sight.
I do not understand the controversy here. Part of developing proper shooting form is consistant anchor points and head alignment. Being a sight accessory in this particular application would seem to help develop proper shooting form.

If the accessory is a sighting device, how is it that one can take it off after acquiring a conditioned form?
You answered your own question. Since the shooter is conditioned then there is no longer a need for the No-Peep to be used...as I made mention to in my first paragraph.

If the " No-Peep" is not a sight, why do so many that intend to try it, or do use it, believe it is a rear sight?
This is somewhat difficult to answer but I will give it a shot. The purpose of any sighting device is to allow the shooter to maintain consistant head position in relation to the front pin, dot, etc...and the line of sight to the intended target. A peep sight does this. The rear sight on a rifle does this and so does the No-Peep. But instead of having that " rear sight" close to the eye itself the No-peep allows that " sighting aid" to be closer to the front sight device and in the same frame of view in relation to the intended target.

How does it assure your sighting eye is at the right height and alignment?
There is a small dot and circle that you must align that verifies that your head, etc... is in the correct position. Torquing the grip, etc... shows up relatively easily with this device though by no means am I calling it fool proof.

Like I said, I do not have any personal experience with the " No-Peep," but the one thing that negatively strikes me the most, is the (seemingly) need to take your eye off the pin and the quarry; even momentarily
But you are not really. As I stated above the No-peep is actually in the same sight frame as your sight pins, target, etc.... At some point it becomes almost peripheral in nature or subconscious if you will.

Last, how is it that so many shooters learn to shoot extremely well without using such an apparatus as the " No-Peep?"
Two words...Time and Practice. Both are things that not every shooter has.

Now, to go back to my original post. By no means am I suggesting that the No-peep is the only way to go for BM' s situation, however, it would seem like somewhat of a natural progression that would make going without a peep sight an easier transition.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:42 AM

Very well explained PABowhtr.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:14 AM

I' ve hunted without a peep sight for the past seven or so years. I use a kisser button at the corner of my mouth, place the string on the tip of my nose and align the pin right next to the left side of the string. Works like a charm. This system makes for a very repeatable anchor, but takes practice to align everything perfectly every time.

The only problem I had when I first went to this system, was forgetting to set the kisser correctly (which messes you up vertically) or forgetting to put the pin right next to the string (which messes you up horizontally). You have to remember to do everything perfectly at the moment of truth and in all honestly it IS more to remember. The best cure for this is, of course, practice. I pretty much HAD to learn to shoot without a peep simply because I hardly ever see a deer until it is near dark.

Standing in the yard practicing, I can shoot well out to forty yards. I do, however shoot tighter groups at longer distances with a peep. Since I put a great deal of effort into getting very close to deer, most of my hunting shots are at fifteen to twenty yards and the kisser is plenty accurate for that range. If I were hunting out west and in the open with more light, I would be more inclined to use a large aperture peep. In the thicker woods around here, a peep will not allow you to shoot to the end of legal hunting time.

I wouldn' t even debate about whether a given person can shoot accurately with or without a given piece of equipment. Anyone ever hear of shooting barebow or instinctive? Try telling Byron Ferguson you need a peep sight to shoot accurately. I wonder what he would say?