Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Tuning?

I am farely new to the world of archery(almost two years). Going around on all these forums and they are talking about tuning and stuff like that. What does it mean to have your bow in tune and how can it be done? Does it require a lot of expensive equipment? And im only fifteen. Im shooting a 2005 fred bear obbsession that i bought off ebay two years ago for 200$. The bow came bare and i added a NAP quiktune 2000 drop away rest, Cobra boomslang sight, gold tip xt hunter arrows and NAP quickspin vanes. Also a new vapor trail string. It is set at 55 lbs and 27.5 inch draw.This bow has never been tuned.Thanks for any advise that might help.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning?

Some folks think that the equipment to tune your bow costs a lot of money. In actuality, all you really need is a good set of allen wrenches and the will to learn and experiment. You will need the allen wrenches to loosen allen screws on your rest to adjust that and loosen allen screws on your sight to adjust that.

I would suggest reading about different tuning methods: Paper, walk-back, group bareshaft, Broadhead, French. Get some idea of what they are and then ask questions here to get into the finer details. There is a walk back thread at the top of this forum that has very good info in it. The easton tuning guide and other places. Google "bow tuning" and you will get lots of material. After you read some come back and a lot of folks here will be willing to help you with the finer points of each method.

Edit: Youcan also use the allen wrenches to adjust your DW but most folks seem to like to have their DW maxed out and prefer to move the rest.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info brucelanthier. I will check out some other sources and then check back.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice Bruce.

Even though paper is probably the most popular it often can be the most difficult tuning to accomplish. If you do not have good form when doing it you will get all sorts of different tears. i sometimes only use it after I'veFrench tuned just to verify the results.

I'd stick to walk-back if you only have 30 or 40 yds to use. If you have 50 yds you can use French tuning which is my personal favorite. Easton's website has a guide to tuning to that you can look at.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Things like timing the cams or adjusting cam lean imo are tuning as well and you need a bow press to make these adjustments.You also need some type af drawing board or you can just use a bow scale as I do,BUT,at your age,let a shop take care of these things and learn how to tune the bow to shoot your arrows accurately for you.

Take a look at my walkback thread that is at the top as a sticky,that can help you alot.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive always used the bow scale as my makeshift drawboard too It was kinda scary with my 101st[:-] Hard wall, 80% letoff, and a DEEEEEEP valley. Letting it down was SCARY.

Derek
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Paper tuning guide:

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/tuning/papertuning/indexpt.cfm