Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech Captain....my thoughts >

Bowtech Captain....my thoughts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Captain....my thoughts

Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowtech Captain....my thoughts

I was out at my local Bowtech shop today to do a little shooting and decided to also test drive a few new Bowtechs, well, mainly the Captain, since the specs were to my liking.

Overall, the fit and finish of the bow was very nice. The InVelvet finish is amazing. The bow I tested was bare with the exception of a rest.

The draw cycle on this bow, IMO, is not that great at all. Being accustomed to the binary cams for quite some time, I was expecting something similar to my Allegiance, only smoother. Instead, it seems to stack weight gradually until it peaks far into the draw cycle, then break abruptly into the valley. It's really rather harsh IMO.

I set the weight on this bow to 64lbs based on the scale at the shop. After shooting about a dozen arrows through it, it really had my attention just how harsh the cycle of it was. I then picked up my Allegiance, which is set at 65-66lbs and drew it back. Night and day difference. The felt draw weight was significantly easier to pull than the Captain. I jumped back and forth between the two to confirm my initial thoughts.

Now, the shot was simply amazing. It's extremely quiet and shock free. As typical, it doesn't possess much hand shock or vibration at all. With a good stabilizer, it would be absolutely dead in the hand. The bow also, without any accessories balances pretty well before and after the shot.

But I am really dissapointed in the draw cycle. I'll be sticking with the Allegiance for sure. I also shot the S.W.A.T. with is basically a re-cam'd Allegiance and it also pulled very nicely, much like my its "ancestor".

I realize its all a matter of getting used to something a bit different, but I won't be buying this bow. I was contemplating buying the Captain until I got a chance to really shoot it. If they could tame down the draw cycles on the center pivot bows, I might consider it.

If anyone is thinking about a center pivot bow, do a test at the shop you shoot them at. Get it and a S.W.A.T or other non center pivot bow, set them both to the same poundage and compare. I believe you'll notice what I found out today.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtech Captain....my thoughts

mm88, Sounds like your pretty up-to-date on your bow tech knowlege. I just received a new Allegience
bow for Christmas. I've been bow hunting for about 23 years but have been using the same bow for about
21 years (Golden Eagle Tree Hawk). Just never seemed to have enough cash for a new one, besides it was
still killing deer. curious on why you were looking at new bows. Are you having issues with your Allegience?
Just looking for a little insight on this bow and Bow Techs in general. Kevin
Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

onebigelk, I am by no means an expert, but I'm pretty competent.

I'm one of those guys that likes to get a new bow every couple years. I love my Allegiance and am not getting rid of it as its been the very best shooting bow I've ever owned. I simply like to shoot the new ones, just to see if there is something better out there that I may like even more.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

muzzyman88, do you (or anyone else outhere for that matter) know if there are alternative
grips available for the allegiance? I seem to be hitting my arm with the string more often
with this bow. A grip that would hold my hand at an outward angle. I'm going to work on
making my own as i search for other possibilities.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

onebigelkchanging the grip isn't to make much of a difference, the brace doesn't change that much, andthe grip usually helps mainly for torquing the bow.
You could however try reducing your draw length a tad and relaxing your bow hand, this could help somewhat.
Also adding a string stop behind the stabilizer, in the insert in the riser facing you, will reduce string slap a whole lot.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ampahunter is right. I would have your draw length shortened. The Allegiance has a 7 1/8" brace height. You shouldn't be hitting your arm with this bow. When this happens, most likely, the draw length is the culprit.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

ampahunter is right. I would have your draw length shortened. The Allegiance has a 7 1/8" brace height. You shouldn't be hitting your arm with this bow. When this happens, most likely, the draw length is the culprit.
True!! Get the correct length draw length then add a String Suppressor to kill noise, vibration, and to keep the string off of bulky clothes.

A lot of people thought the Guardian was a rough draw, but I never felt that. I shot an Allegiance (with Speed Mods) for 3 years running and I thought the Guardian was a Smoother draw although it did not shoot quite as fast. In bows there are trade offs.

I have not shot the Captain, but I do have one as well as a Sentinel on order. I have shot the Admiral and I would not say it has a harsher draw than my Ally's did

Dan
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

MeanV, I agree with you. It really is all about personal preference. I have made a habit of taking my Allegiance with me when I shoot new bows. This gives me a good side by side comparison to see if the new bow really is worth buying. The draw cycle simply wasn't to my liking.

On another note. Onebigelk, if you buy a string supressor for your bow, get in touch with MeanV. He makes an awesome, custom built one that will fit your bow perfectly and look like it came from the factory with it.I have one on mine and love it.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

muzzyman, I'm curious, do you shoot smooth mods on your Ally?

Dan
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

MeanV, yes I'm shooting the smooth mods.

Quick Reply: Bowtech Captain....my thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.