Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What are the signs? >

What are the signs?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What are the signs?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default What are the signs?

I just got my first bow and have been reading alot, so much so my brain hurts.

I am interested to know are there any signs that your bow needs tuning? Does it make a certain sound, or the arrows fly different? Does it pull back in an differnt manner?

The guy that helped my get settled into my bow, put me through the range for about 30min and set thepins on thesight, adjusted the draw length/weight, etc.

I was hitting the target at 20 yards, heinformed methat it was good enough for now and i would need to fine tune it later. What else do i need to do to fine to tune it?

I figured it was pretty good for never using a bow and it was just practice/technique that needed to get figured out.

Any help at all would be great

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Default RE: What are the signs?

well FUDD i would say your lookin in the right place (HNI Tech spot). with that said this is my fifth year bowhunting and im just now getting into being able to tune my bow and diagnose problems efficiantly and right !

Im absolutely not the guy to tell you anything super intellegent about bows, but this is what i do know. before you put a resume into bowtech , first and foremost you just gotta get out and wear out some arrows shooting, and shooting, and shooting some more! while doing this get on here a couple times a week and ask some questions about what your experiencing good/bad. most things that you may think are normal to your bow you'll soon find out from some of these guys (that know their dukey) are actually incorrect. thats why i enjoy this site so much. the groupi sorta run with are all at or below my skill level. this site gives me access to guys that shoot / hunt almost 24/7 therefore gaining access to their experience.

In closing the more you shoot your bow the more youll get to know it and its "normal" sound/feel, hence when you inevidably start upgrading sights/rests etc. youll know when shes on and when shes not on. so now that ive took up too much of your time reading this with no answer. id like to welcome you to bowhunting and the frustration that go's with it sometimes lol
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

What Dave said. Also if there is a club nearby that you could join would help alot. If there is go and shoot with the people and dont worry about the other people and if they shoot better. Get to know them and you will find out the ones that really know their stuff. And do not be afraid to ask them for their help or ask them questions about what might help you to become a better archer an avoid some of the pitfalls that most people have to go through if there isnt anyone around to show them a better way. Dont be afraid to ask because most archers really like to help others get started and to help them improve. Just like on here dont be afraid to ask questions here either, there is a wealth of information that people like to share.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help, and yes i have getting tons of info from everyone.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

Bottom line is, if you can't hit where you desire to hit, you need to get your bow shooting to hit that spot.

90% of the misses on game I bet are from nerves, not bow tune. If you can't get your broadheads hitting 4" groups at 30 yards, then keep your shooting to 20yards. And if can't get your BH's hitting 3" groups at 20 yards, might want to have it looked at.

Most of the folks on this page, are super anal. And sadly I am one of them. We desire perfect flight. I desire my hunting bow to be able to easily hit a deer vitals all the way to 60 yards. If I am not hitting 1" groups at 20 yards, I am bothered and will tinker and tinker.

I know from experience, most new bowhunters desire a perfect tune right from the get go. And from what I see, 90% of the problem is not the bow, but the guy behind it. Get a bow tuned by all means by a good pro shop, but then practice and practice.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Most of the folks on this page, are super anal. And sadly I am one of them. We desire perfect flight. I desire my hunting bow to be able to easily hit a deer vitals all the way to 60 yards. If I am not hitting 1" groups at 20 yards, I am bothered and will tinker and tinker.
LMAO So very true!!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing you can do at this point is get with someone who knows,not someone that thinks they know. That will be hard to figure out being new but it is crucial for you to learn the RIGHT WAY instead of learning a bunch of bad habits and then having to relearn later.

You need to start with form,aiming and release before you worry about the bow too much.There is a wealth of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask about it.

I would even reccomend a coach if one is available to you.

This way,you will be able to know if you or the bow is the problem.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I would even reccomend a coach if one is available to you.

This way,you will be able to know if you or the bow is the problem.
Looking back in life, calculating the money I spent troubleshooting my own form, a coach would be money well spent. But didn't know any in Eastern Ky at that time.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 PM

hi fudd,
my job here is to make humorous comments now and then and throw my .02 in when not needed or called for, so with that said:
I usually tune my bow to a middleC sharp, it sounds best to me there.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AL... F

hi fudd,
my job here is to make humorous comments now and then and throw my .02 in when not needed or called for, so with that said:
I usually tune my bow to a middle C sharp, it sounds best to me there.

Gotta be a samart ass in every crowd,I usually volunteer but with it being Christmas,I will let you have it.

Quick Reply: What are the signs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.