Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shes a noisy one. >

Shes a noisy one.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shes a noisy one.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shes a noisy one.

ok, i shoot an older hoyt. maybe an 04 or 05 model ultra tec i believe. I only shoot about 51# and draw 28.5". When i shoot lately it seems really loud. Its not a loud crack noise, its a noise that sounds like a vibration thing. Its hard to explain, its sounds like something is lose but i don't believe anything is. I jsut got a new string on it this year and my buddy at the archery shop timed it and tunes id up he said. After that it was shooting great and queit but after about 2 weeks it started this noise. Is it possible that the new string stretching could make this noise or am i overlooking something simple? Any help would be appreciated it. Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: Shes a noisy one.

are your string leeches stil in good shape. I know on my vectrix this past summer started getting loud when the leeches started wearing out.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

me and my buddy was hunting thick coverabout 80 yards apart, he has a hoyt, he shoots i swear he hit a limb with his bow the way it sounded,come to find out he has a light on his pins and it was loose i would not belive that was what made that god awfull noise but that was all it was
Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vibration noises are usually found in the sight.

Take the string and pick it real stiff kinda like a guitar string.... don't draw the thing... just pull it back with your thumb and forefinger about an inch or so and let it thump..... listen for a small buzzing noise.... if you have an extra set of hands at your disposal, have that person put a finger on a couple of different places and see if that stops it.

Now that your string has been settling a bit too... I might have your shop recheck the timing and cam rotation as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Check the allen screws that hold the modules on the cams. This is a pretty common type of noise from a bow with modules.

Remove the bolts (they are not under tension when the bow is not drawn) then apply some string wax to the threads. Screw them back in and snug them up. That should prevent any module related issues. Don't over do it! The cam is aluminum WITHOUT a helicoil. If you gorilla fist the bolts in you will strip out the screws

Also do as SC says and give the string a little pluck. You should be able to narrow down where the noise comes from.

The 04 and 05 UltraTec bows were never noisy bows. Certainly not as quiet as today's parallel limb bows, but not loud either.
There is something loose somewhere.