Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help on holding pin(s) still.. >

Help on holding pin(s) still..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help on holding pin(s) still..

Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default Help on holding pin(s) still..

Hello everyone, my first time here so I hope this is the right place to post this question. Does anyone have any little secretes on holding your pin steady? Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help on holding pin(s) still..

ORIGINAL: Shrek3

Hello everyone, my first time here so I hope this is the right place to post this question. Does anyone have any little secretes on holding your pin steady? Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Of primary importance is getting the draw length of the bow set for your body. Sometimes too much draw weight. Too little holding weight. Tensing muscles in an effort to hold the bow still, which is often caused by thethree preceding hints.

Do these hints help?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

FORM,FORM and FORM.

I know alot think that when we talk form it is just mumbo jumbo but it truly does make shooting easier.Once you grasp form,then learning shot sequence and how to let the pin float instead of fighting it.

Just a couple quick things that will help keep a pin still.Still really is a bad term,that isn't what you are looking for.Floating over the spot is the key.

Post up a pic and there are plenty that are willing to help guide you in the right direction.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Float, and squeeze to release. Dont hold and punch. Just like TFOX said, let the pin float and squeeze the trigger when your pin is moving the least amount. Also, focus on the target and spot you are wanting to hit, not the pin. Bare down on the spot and stare it down adn let the pin settle into the spot. the pin should become blurry, then squeeze the trigger. This is what has helped me the most. good luck
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Wait a second guys. I have spent this past year working towards holding still, and it has worked pretty well for me. Now, I have not shot a 300 on 5 spots yet, but I have done a 286 with my 82nd at 73# and I thought that was pretty good. However, I'm am certain that you staff shooters could teach me a lot about form. I am no master.

Derek, I totally agree with what you said about staring at the target and not the pin. That is some good advice. I have trouble focusing on an X, but I can pick nocks off like you wouldn't believe. One of my favorite pass times at 3D shoots. Haha.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off,don't be shooting spots at 73#'s

The ultimate is when you become ONE with the bow and can RELAX and let the pin float on the X.If you are trying to force the pin still,you are going to force the shot off and when that happens,you will pull the pin off the spot.

Think about it this way,if you are forcing the pin in the center of the X,when it moves,where is the pin going?It will be going AWAY from the center BUT if you are letting it float,it is always coming BACK TO THE CENTER so chances are,when the shot goes off,the pin is working it's way back to the center.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

The easiest way to hold still on a target is to relax and not fight it. Now if I could practice what I preach[&o]
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM

I know what you mean about the practicing what you preach. I try relaxing, but sometimes I get too relaxed and the monster takes off with the release and my arm still attached to the string. If you know what I mean. That is probably because 73# is not a god spot weight, like TFOX said. I know that. I am not trying to be a great spot shooter, but I am on a league and would like to improve my shooting. I'm on the beginners team, even though I am pretty far from a beginner, because I am not as accurate as those guys. That's fine. I am a hunter that wants to get better. I am going to try to let it float, and practice what you guys are preaching. Thank you for the information. I'm sure Shrek3 will appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Black Stick

I know what you mean about the practicing what you preach. I try relaxing, but sometimes I get too relaxed and the monster takes off with the release and my arm still attached to the string. If you know what I mean. That is probably because 73# is not a god spot weight, like TFOX said. I know that. I am not trying to be a great spot shooter, but I am on a league and would like to improve my shooting. I'm on the beginners team, even though I am pretty far from a beginner, because I am not as accurate as those guys. That's fine. I am a hunter that wants to get better. I am going to try to let it float, and practice what you guys are preaching. Thank you for the information. I'm sure Shrek3 will appreciate it.

Please read your response and put the response into context from a hunting scenario.

If you can't relax on a spot at 20 yards on a spot that doesn't move(without fear of it taking off),how are you going to relax on a deer that IS moving and has your emotions going 100 mph.This is where the relaxing takes precidence and holding through the shot means the difference in a trophy or a wounded or missed animal.

Please don't take this as a bash because it isn't.Many people use equipment that is overkill with great success.Just some food for thought.

I realize spots is a different game but the biggest thing that makes it different is 60 shots verses 1.But all the small stuff still apply.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, you'll never get that pin to hold perfectly still. You've got to realize that big muscles in your shouldars and back are holding the bow at full draw. Those muscles don't have that pin point movement required to hold your pin still.

Here is one thing that you may try. I know its worked wonders for myself. Draw your bow, settle into your anchors and put the pin on the target. Relax and watch the center of the target for about 10 seconds or so. Then, let down with firing a shot. Do this several times, then shoot an arrow. I think what this does is helps you get accustomed to seeing that pin float around on the target.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Help on holding pin(s) still..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.