Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Another one for the arrow gurus >

Another one for the arrow gurus

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another one for the arrow gurus

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default Another one for the arrow gurus

I'm going to need some new arrows to go along with my new bow. It's a Martin Bengal that I plan on shooting at 70# with a 29" DL. I'll either be using a Whisker Biscuit or 2 prong rest, most likely stick with the Biscuit though.

Unfortunately, price is an issue with these arrows. I'm probably looking at $100/dozen, max. With that in mind the 2 arrows that I'm considering are the Carbon Express Terminator Hunters or one of the Trophy Ridge arrows (they are supposedly made especially for the Biscuit). Are these good choices for the money, or does anyone have a better recommendation?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another one for the arrow gurus

ORIGINAL: underdawg

I'm going to need some new arrows to go along with my new bow. It's a Martin Bengal that I plan on shooting at 70# with a 29" DL. I'll either be using a Whisker Biscuit or 2 prong rest, most likely stick with the Biscuit though.

Unfortunately, price is an issue with these arrows. I'm probably looking at $100/dozen, max. With that in mind the 2 arrows that I'm considering are the Carbon Express Terminator Hunters or one of the Trophy Ridge arrows (they are supposedly made especially for the Biscuit). Are these good choices for the money, or does anyone have a better recommendation?
Why not think even cheaper..... http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0004537414243a.shtml you can get them with Blazers, or get them raw and have some blazers put on. Call a retail store, and they will cut and square them for you, even insert them if you like, and send them to you for the same price listed on line. That's what I've done the last couple times I'mve ordered. Best shooting arrows I've shot, and I've shot GT, PSE Radial Weave, CX Terminator Lites, Beman (who actually makes these), and these are still more consistent. With you're bow if you get a 29.5" arrow, you can tip it with a 100 or 125 and be pretty decent on the spine shooting a 65/80, that's exactly what I am shooting, and I'm a 29" DL at 71# max'd out.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

What kind of arrows are they? When I click the link it takes me to the homepage. Just curious.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

What kind of arrows are they? When I click the link it takes me to the homepage. Just curious.
Try now, not sure the link worked a minute ago, their Cabela's branded Bemans basically, but they are actually a bit more consistent in my experience than the Bemans at a better price.

Raw shafts:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=CTNIZ5LA5P53BLAQBBICCOVMCAEFCI WE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20061&id=0004570414246a&navCount=1& podId=0004570&parentId=cat20061&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&ha sJS=true

Blazered....
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_414243 &id=0004537417604a&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven =netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502

Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

For under $100 you can not go wrong with Gold Tip Pro hunters. In a dozen they weight is very good and the straightness is not an issue. Furthermore, they are probably the toughest arrow you can find that will not cost you $200 a dozen.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

agree with dave about the GT's -- although I use XT hunters -- 60 a dozen bare shaft
Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point FSU. XT's are nice and whatI used last year.I've just not had good luck with the straightness through a dozen. Not to say they didn't shoot well enough even if a little bent. A dozen can last year a few years ifyou do not loose any. I did a lot of group shooting with Pin nocksonXT's last year and had a lot of hits with no damage to the arrow. Even misses on 3D targets came out looking good.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Dave: How's the straightness through a dozen of the Pro Hunters? How many flyers can I expect in a dozen?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had 1 arrow out of a whole dozen that was a little bent at one end that cutting myself couldn't cure. The rest were perfect after cutting. All but that one arrow spun well and did not flip over to the heavy side down like I had with the XT's. All but 1 arrow was under .5 grains different in weight after building and that was the slightly bent one. The bend was so small I only picked it up by spinning and looking very closely at the end. My hunting buddy told me about switching to the Pro's and I really didn't think it was worth it until I spun the dozen I bought. To be honest though, even theXT's that were not straight still flew well enough way beyond 50 yds. Butit bothered me thatI knew they were not straight.

Another good thing about Golt Tip is that if you call them and talk to them about your arrows that are not straight and they will send replacements no questions asked. According to the tech I talked to you shouldn't be able to see .003 with the naked eye and therefore if you can see that the bend is severe. They did that for my XT's. However, I decided that I mind as well pay a little more and not have to deal with that issue.