Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Gurus

Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Bowtech Gurus

So, lately when I've been shooting I've noticed that I've been feeling a little scrunched up. Before starting work at Sportsman's Warehouse, I had one of the guys who used to work there measure my drawlength; 27.5". Well, because of this scrunched up feeling I've been having, I decided to measure my drawlength myself; 28". I measured it a dozen times, just to make sure. All but two times I came out to 28".

No problem, I brought the 3.5 EFA mods home, swapped them out and set the draw stop at 5.8 as per Bowtech's post setting chart.

Now to the issue I'm having. When I draw, the bow seems to feel... stiffer. Do I have the draw stop tightened down too much? Did I maybe not get it set right at 5.8? Am I just making this up in my head somehow?

Any thoughts?

Edit* 2007 Bowtech Allegiance, 70#.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Bowtech Gurus

What do you mean by "stiffer" and about having the draw stop "tightened down too much"? Is your draw at 28" with the draw stop where it's at? From what I gather, the bow is not breaking over all the way and you need to move the draw stop out a little. Try it and see how it feels, you won't break anything.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:32 AM

The draw stop is where it needs to be, it breaks over fine. It almost feels like I'm pulling more weight back, which is what is throwing me off. I've got a scale here at home, but its about as inaccurate as they come, so I haven't bothered testing the draw weight.

In all honesty, I think its in my head. Ever since the tuning issues I had swapping strings, I seem to try and find things wrong when I change something.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."

The only way to know how far you've changed is to measure that which you've altered. Be sure to check all you're measurements especially draw length, brace height and poundage. You'll have to get to a decent scale to find out for sure what's different, if anything. It's the only way to settle those little nagging things in the back of the mind that are going to chew you up; real or not.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM

True 'nuff.

I can't get my bow into work until Saturday, but I definitely plan on taking it with me.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

So, lately when I've been shooting I've noticed that I've been feeling a little scrunched up. Before starting work at Sportsman's Warehouse, I had one of the guys who used to work there measure my drawlength; 27.5". Well, because of this scrunched up feeling I've been having, I decided to measure my drawlength myself; 28". I measured it a dozen times, just to make sure. All but two times I came out to 28".

No problem, I brought the 3.5 EFA mods home, swapped them out and set the draw stop at 5.8 as per Bowtech's post setting chart.

Now to the issue I'm having. When I draw, the bow seems to feel... stiffer. Do I have the draw stop tightened down too much? Did I maybe not get it set right at 5.8? Am I just making this up in my head somehow?

Any thoughts?

Edit* 2007 Bowtech Allegiance, 70#.

Did you have EFA's on it before or did you have ESM's? Changing from one to the other would make a difference.

It could also be due to you not being used to the extra 1/2" draw yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

True 'nuff.

I can't get my bow into work until Saturday, but I definitely plan on taking it with me.
This is important. When you bring it in, measure exact draw length, brace height, ATA, peep height, center shot, and nock height and write it all down somewhere. I do this in my journal for every bow I have once it has a final tune on it that I am happy with. I often write it on the bows limb sticker as well just so it is handy if I end up in a pinch.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

Did you have EFA's on it before or did you have ESM's? Changing from one to the other would make a difference.

It could also be due to you not being used to the extra 1/2" draw yet.
Oh! Nice catch! I can't believe I didn't think of the smooth to fast mod change. That'd definitely do what Dan describes.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

It almost feels like I'm pulling more weight back, which is what is throwing me off.
Maybe you should turn your poundage down to 60#.[8D]
Old 06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

washingtonhunter,

Anytime you change anything dealing with your draw it will seem different. Because you've moved your anchor point it could be making you feel that you are pulling more weight or even holding more. Your muscles are conditioned to only pull back to that certain spot and then stop. Now, you are pulling a little bit more and you have to get used to it. My old bow was way short on draw length and when I got the proper draw length pulling back to where I should be felt like i was pulling a lot more weight (Even at 60#'s). Give it a week or 2 of shooting and you'll get used to it.

Stick with the 70#'s. .

Quick Reply: Bowtech Gurus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.