Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Waxing Bow String? >

Waxing Bow String?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Waxing Bow String?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Waxing Bow String?

Might sound like a funny question, but when i wax my string i usually put the wax on and then go over it real quicck with a hair dryer so that the wax gets into the string. Is that ok to do or will that just ruin the string even quicker?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Waxing Bow String?

I think I've seen this asked before but can't remember the answere,now I'm wondering also.I just rub mine in with fingers and old piece of leather,use to just use bare fingers...rubbed fast enough I got a burn on fingers![:@]
Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

I, like RLoving, like to massage my strings with my fingers. But the hairdryer method works great for getting that wax to melt a little quicker -- but I still like to rub it in even if I do use a hairdryer. Also make sure you are using a low heat setting -- or so I hear.

A hairdryer works great for getting wax into the string under servings --- however I have hesiteted on this because I have heard so many people not to was the string servings and vice versa. Can anyone tell me the real truth?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have got to first understand exactly what it is that tears up bowstrings... and that is friction. There is a tremdous amount of stress on your bowstring at the shot (duh). Your string is really just one long continuous strand of material.... and even though your maker might say it doesn't stretch.... it does stretch back and forth on the shot.. and those strands rub againest each other. Thats where those little tiny feathers come from on a neglected or old string.... your string is litteraly fraying itself apart.... and it gets worse and worse with every shot.

Now... think about this.... wax is really nothing more than a lubricant.... it reduces the friction caused by those strands rubbing together. Think about all the nasty nasty crap that is on your hands and fingers... and also what gets on your bow string.... dust... grit... dirt... its like turning a piece of printer paper into sandpaper. Same thing happens when you are hunting... all that little particulate and junk like builds up in your wax... and then you come along and rub it even deeper into your string.

I try and keep my hands free of the string whenever I possibly can. A hairdryer works great... leather works better... and scorpian venom polymeric fluid works the best. Lots of people write that stuff off... that and the string cleaner.. but believe you me.... that stuff works wonders.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 PM

The best way to lube it is to relax yourstring in a pressand actually work the lube into the loose strands. As an alternative, the hairdryer on low and hand-rubbing it in will work.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

A hair dryer is an absoloute NO-NO when it comes to waxing your string. The heat from the dryer is far too high for most bowstrings and cables. You can cause premature creep of your string and significantly shorten the life. Not to mention peep rotation, rest timing issues and cam timing issues.

As mentioned above, the best way is to put the bow in the press, relax the string and cables then work the wax into and between the fibers of the string. Use your fingers or a piece of chamois to rub and warm the wax, making it easier to get in there. You are only trying to warm the wax, not start a fire, so don't go at it like a teenage boy who has found some "alone time"

Swamp Collie has some good advise about the dirt and grit. Prior to waxing the string, I use a piece of serving material or dental floss to wrap around the string/cables then slide the loop down over the string. This scrapes off the majority of the old wax and particulate from the surface, allowing you to get all of the dirt and grit off before they get worked deeper into the string. It also helps prevent wax buildup.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am going to go against normal logic and thinking here but overwaxing can be as bad as not waxing enough.The build up will cause iconsistancies from shot to shot.Plus.as Swamp Dog states,look at all the extra particles that will get trapped in the wax.Wax is a necessity,but just don't overdo it.

I waxed my string before the season and once during with a HIGH QUALITY wax and wash my hands and just rub it in,that is all that is needed.

I replace my rigging every 2 years and that is all that is needed now that I don't shoot serious 3-d,when I was,I replaced it every year.