Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Waxing String?

Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Waxing String?

Just wandering what technique you all use while waxing your bowstring? I normally just rub it in with my fingers, but there was a guy that once told me to use a leather strap and work it into the string. He said the friction from the strap would warm the string and wax and melt it deep into the string. I am really not sure if that is good idea or not. What do you guys think? Another question, how often do you all wax your string? I normally wax it about every 3rd day or 200-300 shots. Do you all believe this is too much, too little, or ok?

Thanks,
Trent
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Waxing String?

After applying wax on the string by either running the bowstring wax tube case or wax cake up and down the string several times. I take a small piece of paper wrap it around the string and run it up and down the string... same purpose to generate heat and friction to impregnate the wax into the string. I never use my fingers directly, don't want any of my body salt getting into the string.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Don't use leather--you can generate way too much heat that way, and damage the string fibers. Every string material I can think of is made from plastic fibers or one type or another--and we know what heat does to plastic.

Wax the string when it looks dry--the excess will shoot out. Wax the loops and the serving--it will last longer.

Chad
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I guess I'm going against the grain here, but I use a leather deerskin glove. I don't think there is any problemwith it if you are careful not topinch the string very tight at all, and I don't move ittoo quickly. I've been doing that way for a few years and haven't had any problems and I pay really close attention to my string(s).