Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Advantages to a new string >

Advantages to a new string

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Advantages to a new string

Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Advantages to a new string

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

It wasnt put together poorly as you can see from earlier where I was not going to buy one to now where I really want to. Today I got some new stuff put on my string and when he was taking off my old kisser button he put a nice little nik in my string. The one on there before had been way over tightened and he fought with it for a good 15 minutes to get it off. I don't think its much to worry about cuz it wasnt that big......but when I know of something like that, it gets in my brain and I can't stop worrying about it.....
I sure don't like nicks in the string. I see some techs trying to remove nock sets and kissers with a screwdriver or a set of needlenose pliers, and I just look on in horror. Why would anyone take a chance on removing something under tension that way?? A person needs to buy a good set of nock pliers with a nock removal tool.

You can just change out the string. Which I would probably do and I like 8125 material. It can get fuzzy, which some don't like.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks...That will save me 40 bucks on buying the whole cable set too.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would change everything out this time. This way you get a new, perfectly matched set and know they are exactly the right length. I know I'm a little fickle about strings and cables and make certain they are in tip top shape. I like to change out every two years, even though my current strings may look fine. For the amount of shooting I do, with high end strings, two years seems about right for me. By then, I usually start to see some serving seperation around the cams and a little wear on the servings.

Its a peice of mind thing for me. Plus, you can get some cool color combo's to make your rig look sweet.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Just to help you out with some GOOD string options --- Vapor Trail, Bucknasty, Proline, Crackers, Rock Solid, and Terminal Velocity.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 PM

thanks guys.....This is a big help. Now I will do my research on your list FSUBIGMAC and see which one stands out to me. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

bcvd45,

I'd like to also chime in for Wolf Den Bowstrings. I had two sets of their strings so far and could not be happier. No movement after 50 shots and you can have them built with any of the popular materials. Also, they're quite a bit cheaper than most others. 65.00 a set, to your door.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Ya now I am really really considering getting one. My peep will not stay alligned from one shot to the next. it is starting to bug the hell out of me.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

Ya now I am really really considering getting one. My peep will not stay alligned from one shot to the next. it is starting to bug the hell out of me.
True that I didn't mention the option of just getting a string. Your bow is fairly new so the cables should be OK. Colors won't be the same, but hey, who's looking?

As long as you're willing to shop around try getting on Arcgery Talk. In the classifieds there is a whole raft of string makers listed. Try looking at a few and see what they have to offer. Then ask some questions or use the search function to get some opinions. One thing to pay attention to is the experience level of anybody posting an answer. You'll get the most informative answers from die hard target and 3D shooters as they shoot their bows on a regular basis. Don't pay much attention to how durable one is against the other. The truth is all strings are made of similar materials and have virtually the same durability if you care for them correctly.

Wish you luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

BG Fisher is correct -- actually most of the stuff you have read is correct. I personally have never heard of Wolf Den Strings but they are worth a look. I know for a fact your not gonna find any better quality string that Mike "Crackers" Carter. Go on archery talk and do a search for crackers -- you will see some of the work he has done. Its a long process and a long wait but it sure is worth it. Make sure you have someone who knows that they are doing when putting on your string and timing your cams and tuning. OK WAIT -- I just noticed you are in Missouri -- As is Crackers -- You should not even hesitate to take a drive to his shop -- hands down probably the best techie out there. http://www.cartersarchery.com/. Let his set you up -- I guarantee you that your bow will never shoot better
Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

I know for a fact your not gonna find any better quality string that Mike "Crackers" Carter. Go on archery talk and do a search for crackers -- you will see some of the work he has done.

let his set you up -- I guarantee you that your bow will never shoot better
I will admit, I have never bought a crackers string or cable. But what does he do that others do not? I mean, they all have string jigs. They all probably machine serve. I mean does he put magic dust on them or something?

I have had PSE strings, zebra twist, winners choice, bowtech, bucknasty, some strings I can't remember who made out of D97, vaportrail, and now make my own flemish twist and endless loop for trad bows.And as long as they are all put together good, I am not sure that it made a lick of difference.

I am just curious. Are you going off of word of mouth from archery talk? Because this is the last place I would gather knowledge from. Thats just me.

Quick Reply: Advantages to a new string

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.