Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Correctly Spined and weighted arrows? >

Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

I was shooting at Gander Mountain the other night and there was a guy shooting CX Maxima 250s with 75 grain tips trough a 70# 82nd Airborne with a 29" DL. I don't remember how much he said they weighed, but they are clearly less than 5 gpp. Wouldn't that void the warranty on the limbs? On to under-spining. I know for a fact that he should be shooting 350s at those specs. Couldn't he possibly snap an arrow into my arm if I am on the line with him? I asked him why he is doing this and he said, "to get to 350 fps." This isn't a young guy, he is at least 40 and a total jerk.

He said that as long as he cuts the arrows shorter (28"), they are not under-spined. He also said that as long as you have a string stop, the 5 gpp rule does not apply.

I tried to explain to him that my arrows carry more momentum than his because they weigh more, but he wasn't having any of it. What do you guys make of this?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

I am calling out BigBulls, MeanV2 and any other Archer staff member/ dealer.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't that void the warranty on the limbs?
Yes

Couldn't he possibly snap an arrow into my arm if I am on the line with him?
That could happen but he is more danger to himself if the arrow lets goupon release he might end up with an arrow through his bow hand.

He also said that as long as you have a string stop, the 5 gpp rule does not apply.
I have never heard such a thing.

I tried to explain to him that my arrows carry more momentum than his because they weigh more, but he wasn't having any of it. What do you guys make of this?
Well I think he is full of it and I don't mean ice cream either

I think you answered your final question with this quote
and a total jerk.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Black Stick
He also said that as long as you have a string stop, the 5 gpp rule does not apply.
BS. I like Kanga's signature for this one;
"Ignorance is content to stand still with its back to the truth."
Old 11-17-2008, 02:29 PM

I am the kind of guy that can get allong with just about anyone. He just has this way about him that I cannot stand. I let him shoot one of my arrows through his bow and he said, "I think mine is faster." We never even chronographed them. BTY, I knew he was more likely to hurt himself, but I wasn't worried about that.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Any Pro staff guys want to give there .02?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: Black Stick
BS. I like Kanga's signature for this one;
"Ignorance is content to stand still with its back to the truth."
I know, perfect.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Wouldn't that void the warranty on the limbs?
Yes

Couldn't he possibly snap an arrow into my arm if I am on the line with him?
That could happen but he is more danger to himself if the arrow lets goupon release he might end up with an arrow through his bow hand.

I have never heard such a thing.

Well I think he is full of it and I don't mean ice cream either

I think you answered your final question with this quote
and a total jerk.
I agree with this entire post.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kanga covered it very well.

I'll throw a few pennies at it as well though.

Long and short of it is that even though he might be shooting faster with an underspined arrow, there are light weight arrows that are the correct spine that will not only shoot much faster, andbe safer, but will also be much more accurate, espeically with broadheads.

Some of y'all have probably read my story about buying arrows when I was in college. Difference was back then I was ignorant to what I needed, or what spine was... or what those numbers on the arrow meant... ignorance is one thing, and its forgiveable and excusable, especially when the offending party admits it and asks to be guided.

But as Ron White said, You can't fix stupid.... doing such a thing on purpose would be like gargling with nitro glycerine in my opinion. Granted the odds of it happening with good, intact arrows are slim... because like most things in this modern world of class action lawsuits, arrows are typically over built.. just like tree stands....and having 75gr heads improves his odds... but if he ain't flexing those babies before every shot then he is just shooting on borrowed time.

Personally Black stick... I don't like standing directly next to anyone while they are shooting... there is always a what if in my mind. I had a customer shooting a crossbow about a year ago and it blew up while I was standing there... something hit me on the cheek... just below the eye... don't know what it was... didn't even leave a mark... but it scared me.... I keep my happy self three steps closer to the door because of it...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Good Plan.

Quick Reply: Correctly Spined and weighted arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.