Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cold weather & Bows >

Cold weather & Bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cold weather & Bows

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cold weather & Bows

We all know how extended hot weather can affect our bows. How does extreme cold weather affect the bow in general or the performance?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cold weather & Bows

I havnt really noticed any performance issues but im no expert. i did notice however that if its really cold and you go to draw for the first time sometimes to bow makes a crack noise sometimes. And it gets harder to draw when its really cold. So might wanna lower ur poundage jsut a few
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM

The older wood laminated limb were bad but, the bow we have today with space age carbon limbsthereis not any thing to worry about.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Doc said. I think you'll find that the strings are more affected by extreme temperature changes than the bow itself. That's why good strings are a must.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:21 PM

It affects the hunter more than the bow. I've never seen a difference in how the bow shoots just from being cold but adding heavy jackets, gloves,balaclavas, neck gators...all change how the bow is anchored and therefore, the point of impact. Be sure to practice with the actual clothes that you'll be wearing and if you're consistantly hunting in cold weather you may want to consider dropping 1/2" and 5#'sof draw from what you would typically shoot in warmer temp.'s.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM

I was pulling 58 LB, but I backed it off to 53 LB last weekend.
I well remember not being able to draw my bow one cold day years ago.[:@]
1st time learner.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It affects the hunter more than the bow. I've never seen a difference in how the bow shoots just from being cold but adding heavy jackets, gloves, balaclavas, neck gators... all change how the bow is anchored and therefore, the point of impact. Be sure to practice with the actual clothes that you'll be wearing and if you're consistantly hunting in cold weather you may want to consider dropping 1/2" and 5#'s of draw from what you would typically shoot in warmer temp.'s.
If anyone would know this, it's you and Sarah Palin. You are living the dream in Alaska.