Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

IBO speeds!!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Default RE: IBO speeds!!

That is because Hoyt is not selling speed. They are selling accuracy, which is much more important to the people who actually buy them (Target Shooters). Where as the rest of them are appealing to hunters that want to be able to get a full pass through on the deer they are shooting at and the one standing behind it. Speed does sell to the majority of people including me.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: im ocd

As you can see by my signature, I'm shooting in the 283-293 range depending on the bow. What the blistering IBO speed allows me to dois turn the draw weight back and still produce 69-74# of KE. Peoplehave the option ofeither backing off the draw weight or shooting a heavier arrow at a reasonable speed, with a higher IBO.
My wife shoots a Bowtech Equalizer and the fairly high IBO allows her to produce exceptional power for her draw weight and draw length. Short draw and low draw weight shooters may benefit from faster bows.
Faster bows do typically have agressive draw cycles and short brace heights; regardless, I shoot the X Force exceptionally well. Other factors like grip, draw stop (or lack thereof), balance, intangables.... factor into each individuals performance with a given bow.
So what can I do to calculate my KE? I know that you sent me to a specific website to calculate KE, but I'm really not sure how to fill it out. According to the Hoyt website, my bow's IBO is 290 fps. Is that the number for the arrow speed?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bowhuntinginfo.com/Kinetic%20Energy%20Calculator.htm

Go shoot your bow through a chronograph at a pro shop somewhere adn get your speed. Measure the weight of your arrow and plug them into the formula. hit enter and it will tell you your k.e.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

It's basic physics.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Looks like we all have this down to a science, and I agree with you all.
Advertised speeds are at max draw weight and length and with a light arrow.
I chronographed my bows just to see what they are performing at.

2008 Hoyt Katera (Trophy Ridge Deluxe Quick Shot Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest), draw length = 28", draw weight = 60#, arrow weight = 450 grains, speed chronographed at 260 fps.
2006 Browning Illusion (QAD Ultra-Rest HD Pro Series), draw weight = 28", draw weight = 70#, arrow weight = 450 grains, speed chronographed at 260 fps.

Grouchy Bear (http://www.camospace.com/GrouchyBear)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

As you can see by my signature, I'm shooting in the 283-293 range depending on the bow. What the blistering IBO speed allows me to dois turn the draw weight back and still produce 69-74# of KE. Peoplehave the option ofeither backing off the draw weight or shooting a heavier arrow at a reasonable speed, with a higher IBO.
My wife shoots a Bowtech Equalizer and the fairly high IBO allows her to produce exceptional power for her draw weight and draw length. Short draw and low draw weight shooters may benefit from faster bows.
Faster bows do typically have agressive draw cycles and short brace heights; regardless, I shoot the X Force exceptionally well. Other factors like grip, draw stop (or lack thereof), balance, intangables.... factor into each individuals performance with a given bow.
I'm shooting an HCA Iron Mace... 29.5"... 61# with a 475gr arrow going right at 270fps... I'm right there with you and couldn't agree more!

I just put a deposit down on a new Admiral.. not the fastest horse at the track, but the draw cycle is pretty stiff... I ordered a max 60# bow... still slinging 420gr arrows in the 280s! PLENTY fast enough for me... and shooting lower poundages than back when I was in college and it was 70# or nothing... I'll never own another 70# bow.. no need for it with my draw length and hunting usage.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Spike

tttt9r and swampcollie, If I remember correctly both of your bows advertised IBO speeds are in the 330fps ballpark. looking at the chrono numbers you both gave, it seems that a 40-50fps loss should be expected from a bow with a "hunting" set-up. would you say that is the case with most new bows or are these two an exception?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

with a hunting setup yes, i would say 30-40 loss with a deer slamming arrow setup.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Flboarhunter

tttt9r and swampcollie, If I remember correctly both of your bows advertised IBO speeds are in the 330fps ballpark. looking at the chrono numbers you both gave, it seems that a 40-50fps loss should be expected from a bow with a "hunting" set-up. would you say that is the case with most new bows or are these two an exception?
My bow's IBO speed is 340fps if I remember right.

I'm shooting 61#s, which makes a 5gpp arrow 305gr... I'm shooting 475gr for a hunting arrow... so I'm 170grains OVER IBO.

I'm also .5" under it in draw.

If you even that out... I've lost about 60fps right there.

Plus I have a peep and loop on my string... which is another couple fps.

So theorhetically... I've lost about 65fps from what IBO should be. Take the 270 I'm shooting... add 65 to it.. and you have 335... which puts me about5 effective fps below IBO. Thats good enough for government work.

As to what you can expect.... it all depends on what you want. It also depends on your draw length. When you boil right down to it and do the math... I'm really only off advertised speed by 5fps. And even doing it that way.. its all just round about figures that have proven themselves mostly true over the years I've been working on archery stuff. If someone wants to shoot a light arrow for more speed... I can set them up that way... same with a heavy set up... all depends on the school of thought you subscribe to.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I have to ask a question about IBO speeds also. SInce they are based on
70# Draw Weight, 30# Draw Length, and 350grain arrow weight then how do they rate a Bowtech Equalizer?

The bow specs are as follows:

Draw lengths 24" - 27.5"
Draw Weight 29# - 60#
IBO Speed 300 - 308 IBO Speed

I have one at 26.5", #60#, and about a 400 grain arrow weight.

Quick Reply: IBO speeds!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.