Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 really need some help here...? >

really need some help here...?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

really need some help here...?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Default really need some help here...?

okay,so my step dad who hasnt bowhunted since highschool decided to get back into it and i thought it would be something fun for him and i to do together.ive been to 3 different archery shops and have been told three completely different things as far as what to get.

placeA) recomended a 31" draw length with a super loop,using a release and a draw weight of 65-75lbs.

place B) recomended 31" draw length with a super loop,using a release but a draw weight of 45lbs

place C) recomended a 30" draw length with a release,and a draw weight of 55lbs

now,i am 6ft3 with a 77" arms span(measured from finder tip to finger tip with arms outreached)i weight 300+ pounds but im not the strongest guy for my size.i really want to make sure i get the right set up and want to order soon but with mixed suggestions i truly dont know what to do.

the guy at place B had me shooting a bow set up where he suggested it and it felt soooo long of a draw for me.but it seems to be the concensus of everyone i need something near that.

PLEASE HELP ANYONE...?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Default RE: really need some help here...?

31" seems a bit long for someone at 6'3" (typical formula is arm span divided by 2.5 to get a starting point) that yields 30".

If you're only going to hunt deer you don't need anything near 75# of draw. I think guys may be sizing you up when you come in and making recommendations about what they see rather than about what you need.

Given just that, I'm most in agreement with shop C but there are other considerations to be made when choosing a proshop to deal with.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM

I agree with Kodiak on all counts. I would almost bet that the other shops are trying to sell you what they have leftover given it is actually late in the sales season for bows. If they don't sell it soon, they will be stuck with it for some time to come...maybe forever. I used to own a shop....I know. However I would NEVER recommend a setup that didn't fit someone.

Again, 30" draw is PLENTY. I am your same size and I shot 29.5" draw. You can fine tune the draw lengths with the bow or the string loop. Too long is WAY worse than too short BTW. 55# will take anything that walks in north america. Just ask Uncle Ted Nugent. That is what he shoots.

Good luck with your new activity. I hope it brings youand your stepdad the joy it has my son and I.

Feel free to ask any further questions.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto Dryridge and Kodiak, the last recommendation is probably the best.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

If you are unsure of the advise your currently getting from the shops, I would at leat make sure that you buy a bow with an adjustable draw length and not one with a fixed length. That way you can always make adjustments later if you were given bad advise. Id also stay away from 50 to 60 # limbs if I were your size and go with 60 to 70# limbs. Most bows you can get them to adjust lower than 60# if neccesary, but I would guess that before long you would be wanting more. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 PM

i went to yet a 4th shop today and this guy really seemed to know his stuff.and told me i would fit really well with a 29" draw and nothing bigger then a 30 though.i found a really nice bow in the paper locally in the size i need. is a mathews legacy worth checking out?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jdowney85

i went to yet a 4th shop today and this guy really seemed to know his stuff.and told me i would fit really well with a 29" draw and nothing bigger then a 30 though.i found a really nice bow in the paper locally in the size i need. is a mathews legacy worth checking out?
The thing about a used bow is that unless you have been around bows a lot, you are taking a chance on something that might end up being a money pit. If you buy a Mathews second hand, then you will not have the lifetime warranty afforded to the original owner when bought through a certified dealer... also.... in my personal opinion (the shop I work at is one of the top ten Mathews dealers in the country).... I think Mathews bows tend to run just a hair short/small. If you are boarder line on a 29-30" draw.... I think that a 29" Mathews might be a bit risky. If it ends up being too short... a cam runs in the neighborhood of $60-$80... plus you'll likely drop $50 labor to get it put on and re-set up. To sum it all up... often times you don't really save money with a used bow.

A lot of this depends on exactly how much money you want to invest in a bow. If you've got a $1500 budget... then the sky is the limit. If you want to keep the package in the $500 range... then there are plenty of great choices there too.

FWIW, as everyone else as mentioned... there is no point at all in fooling with a bow that peaks at 70#. A 50-60# draw, which can be set anywhere in between, especially at your draw length, will kill anything in this hemisphere. I shoot 61# myself. Much much more important that you be able to draw the bow and shoot it well, than barely be able to draw it... and miss with authority.

Where abouts are you located? I pray to God you are in striking distance of tidewater area Virginia.... we'll get you right!