Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New to all of this >

New to all of this

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to all of this

Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Default New to all of this

I recently purchased a new bow and plan to begin to learn archery and later hunt for whitetail. I've hunted deer all my life with a rifle and muzz and need a new challenge. I am excited about this whole deal. My bow is pretty much fully equipped as far as accessories, but when I take it to the range to get sighted in, what else should I ask them to check? Should I let them sight it in for me and then practice at home on a target? I guess I just need general recommendations on getting moving from this point! Thanks in advance...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:31 PM

Default RE: New to all of this

Ask someone that works at the range to help you get sihghted in.
Heres how i start people out my not be the right way but it works for me.

1. paper tune.
2. start at 10 yards. and adjust windage and elevation. (I usally set it alittle high at 10)
3. once you have constantly shot good groups at 10. walk back to twenty and adjust. (most high end bows there wont be much difference from 10-20.
4. set 30, and 40.
5. Practice Practice Practice. I can not stress that shooting all year long not just 2 weeks before season is the most affective way to put the odds in you r favor when the buck of a life time comes in and hangs out at 45 yards.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: footdocbutler

I recently purchased a new bow and plan to begin to learn archery and later hunt for whitetail. I've hunted deer all my life with a rifle and muzz and need a new challenge. I am excited about this whole deal. My bow is pretty much fully equipped as far as accessories, but when I take it to the range to get sighted in, what else should I ask them to check? Should I let them sight it in for me and then practice at home on a target? I guess I just need general recommendations on getting moving from this point! Thanks in advance...
No one can sight it in except u. I'd check to see if they got someone givin lessons at the local pro shop that way yoursure to get off on the right foot
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2droptine

No one can sight it in except u. I'd check to see if they got someone givin lessons at the local pro shop that way yoursure to get off on the right foot
i think this is one of the most important things here...have some one help you get started the right way....its way easier to start the right way rather than trying to break a bad habit later on...get the bow checked out make sure everything is fine with it...string limbs all ok have them square it all up and check the tiller and center shot on the rest...check the arrows to make sure they are the right spine and are in good shape...then have them help you start out with your form thats the most important thing..if your form is off you will have a hard go from the start...its always best to have someone thats experienced help than learn on your own