Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sighting it in?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default sighting it in?

sighting in a bow for hunting from a tree stand?? what is the best way 2 do this?? it''s only 10 feet up but today i took a shot at a doe down hill and shot way over it's back!!! and it was at 20yd's used my 20yd pin.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: sighting it in?

Throw up a ladder stand in the back yard and practice out of it.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

And remember to bend at the waist, maintaining proper form, instead of just dropping your bow arm.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I do is sight in on the ground and have my pins calibrated for exact distances. Then you aim for the TRUE horizonal distance when shooting from height. There are 2 ways of doing this and you need to do both: Use rangefinder or mark actual distances before you get in your stand,that way you'll be aiming for true distance instead of angled distance. The other is once you know the distance,practice from your stand to ensure your pin settings. As everybody knows,you aim for horizonal distance-NOT angled distance. The reason you bend from waist instead of simply dropping bow arm is when you drop your arm,it radically changes your anchor point. That in itself will cause you to shoot higher as well as aiming for angled range. Bending from waist is not natural,it's a trained part of shooting form,whereas you WILL drop your bow arm without realizing unless you practice from stand (height) as well as from ground while concentrating on proper form. Proper form is everything in bowshooting. Even after you shoot enough to develop muscle memory,it's imperitive to keep in practice so as not to lose this muscle memory. Hope this helps at least a little. Neil
Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Use a single pin sighted in at 27 yds on the ground

From the treestand - shoot him about two inches above the elbow = venison stew.

Practicing from a treestand is huge!!!!!!

The comments offered here about form are correct.

If you can only practice off the ground. Do it standing on a milk crate.

This will help you adapt to the size of your shooting platform and help your hunting form also.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

pratice from a stand...if it was at 10 yards and you aimed with a 20 yard pin and put the pin right on your gonna shoot high...remember an arrow travels in an arc..if you would have aimed low you would have made a hit...it just takes pratice
Old 10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just bend at the waist and you'll be fine
Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

well turns out that i didn't shoot high my sight was knocked off the the right. witch was causing me to make my shots all about 6 inches to the right. and i gut shot a huge one today still haven't found him but we'll c. i'm gonna look in the a.m.
'