Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Change poundage? >

Change poundage?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Change poundage?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Change poundage?

OK guys,

Last weekend I shot a nice doe at 20 yards. Complete pass-thru double lung.

I've been thinking of turning the poundage up on my Hoyt. Is it as easy as it sounds? Just turn to the right using the correct allen wrench? The reason for the change would be to get a couple more FPS on those 30 yard shots, if they present themselves.
Also, if I change the poundage, I know it will mess with my sights, a bit. But, tuning wise, it shouldn't change anything, should it?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Change poundage?

The gain you'll get in FPS probably will be pretty small. If I remember correct, which means I could be way off, I thought it was something like 1-2 fps gain for every 5 lbs increase in DW? If that's the case, then increasing your DW won't really give you much of an advantage and really just cause you to have to do some slight retuning. Remember as well that your shoulders are not going to be used to this increased weight which will reduce your stability when holding, do you really want that problem on stand? Also, consider your arrows, if you're on the lower end of the spine spectrum, increasing your DW could cause some spine issues as well. From what it sounds like your bow shoots just fine the way it is - why mess with it during the season?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

I dont know about how much of a difference in speed it will make but Austin is definitly right about the arrows. So check out what kind of spine you have and if its good with a higher DW. You make a little adjustment no matter what it is you will always have to do some kind of tuning. So you are going to have to decide if its really worth the work just for a few fps. Austin made another good point. Why mess with it during the season. i would wait till season is over the go through and play with different set ups. "If it isnt broke then dont fix it."
Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

how much difference would a cheap string versus a well made string like a bucknasty make in fps
Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

how much difference would a cheap string versus a well made string like a bucknasty make in fps
next to nothing maybe 0-4 fps
Old 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

OK guys,

I've been thinking of turning the poundage up on my Hoyt. Is it as easy as it sounds? Just turn to the right using the correct allen wrench? The reason for the change would be to get a couple more FPS on those 30 yard shots, if they present themselves.
Also, if I change the poundage, I know it will mess with my sights, a bit. But, tuning wise, it shouldn't change anything, should it?

Thanks!

if you increase your poundage you WILL have to retune ,
just remember to turn each limb bolt exactly the same amount.

and the answer about the arrows is correct ,
you mayrun intosome underspined issues
if you arrows are already spined well at the poundage you are currently shooting .

you could go to ligher arrows to gain some fps
but you may loose some KE.

just my .02
Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.

I agree, I might as well just change it AFTER the season.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

yep, this certainly isnt the time for a bowhunter to be playing with things...exspecially if they arent expirienced...

the others are right...it can cause ALOT more headaches than it will ever be worth....even if you went 10lbs, your not going to see hardly any change in your pins, if you can notice at all....not to mention all the issues that changing draw weight can bring...and you will have to retune....

also, hunters generally dont shoot near as much as they did before the season starts....those muscles weaken quickly....cold weather makes it harder to draw because your cold...plus extra bulky clothing etc...

i know last year i turned mine down after the first week or so...i stood up to practice draw and REALLY struggled....when i was shooting that weight ALL summer....just was FREEZING, had a pile of clothes on, and hadnt shot as much as i was prior to the season...i try to shot at minimum of once a week all through the season...usually 2-3 days a week...but in the past there were times i couldnt due to school...those muscles loose their power pretty quick....my next bow might honestly be a 60lb max...im shooting 60-65ish right now(have no idea..turned them out till i liked it and tuned from there) and its perfect...but bows generally perform and shoot their best close to their max draw weight...so i will really consider going with 50-60lb limbs next time around.....no need for 60-70 unless your hunting something bigger than deer...even then with todays technolgy and bow speeds, guys are getting more out of 60 than bows a couple years old at 70...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

fyi on my comment/question...wont be doing anything until after season is over
Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

OK guys,

Thanks!
First of all what is the poundage you shooting now? My bow is set at 58 D.W. 29 D.L I shoot a 543 total arrow weight, I don't need more D.W. even at 40 yards. I have 60 and 70 pound limbs. I just perfer to hunt comfortable. You don't have to be shooing a rocket to bring down a white tail.
I went down so I could slow my arrow down enough for ASA competiton, and like the D.W. where it's at.

Quick Reply: Change poundage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.