Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ultimate Big Game Shaft >

Ultimate Big Game Shaft

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ultimate Big Game Shaft

Old 03-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ultimate Big Game Shaft

Need some help here guys, I am setting up my new bow for hunting elk and moose ( if I am fortunate to pull a moose tag) and am trying to find the ultimate shaft. I have a 27" draw with my peak weight of 64#' s with a 65% let-off and according to the easton arrow chart, if I understand it correctly that a 2018 is probaly good within this perameter, but I was wondering if I should up it to a heavier arrow, in that being a 2117 or ?.
I am not intrested in shooting dime size groups at targets ( though I strieve for it), even though I do shoot at least 4 - 5 time a week, but I am strictly a bow hunter and want to put the arrow in the bread basket. I shoot fingers useing a 125 grain thunder head for hunting. Also while I have your attention, what do you think the pro' s and con' s are in me shooting 4" fletchings as opposed to 5" ' s in a ultimate Big Game Shaft? I fletch my own shafts so I guess I can experment but was wondering what your personal experience is between the two. I have been bowhunting since 69' and know more about hunting than I do about the mechanics of archery. My question is if you were me, what would be the ultimate shaft with my set up? Thanks for your time and help guys, Bobby
Old 03-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-25-2003, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Ultimate Big Game Shaft

I' m in pretty much the same boat as Robert. I shot CE csx 300, csx terminator selects, Blackhawk carbon/alum and Beman ICS hunters since I got my bow in January. Messinng around for the indoor spots I got a XX78 2512....WOW! These fly better than anything I' ve shot so far. I think most of it has to do with the weight though. I was around 380-410 with the carbons and I' m at 515 with the Fat Alums. Anyway I went and got more and fletched with a big 5" right hellical for a big cut on contact head and I' m ready for October already!

A lot is personal preference too. Some guys would never dream of hunting at 7+ grains per pound...my rig seems to prefer it. I may change my mind if I' m hunting West like you where a 30-40-50 yard shot is the norm. Where I hunt in MI. usually if I can see it...I can shoot that far no worries(thick). You may prefer lighter for flatter traj. All depends on how you shoot and what you like.

I just re-read you post and see your a finger shooter...try one of those fatter shafts. I think they have a tendancy to be more forgiving. The only downside I can see (other than weight) would be friction during penetration. Not sure how much difference that would make?? Seems like the added weight would make up for it in momentum??
Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys maybe on something now because I' m shooting about 100 grains less than either one of you. Haveing chequed my own cache of arrow shafts that I have accumulated over the years I see that they are all on the light side. I have always strieved to shoot the lightest arrow as possible but that will change, I' ll cheque out some of the fatties and give them a try. If they are forgiveing as you say True Archer, I need all the help I can get. My absolute longest shot would be 30-35 yard, I feel very comfortable in this range.
Robert, stay in touch and let me know how you do on your Hunting Draws this year.

thanks guys and

Good Luck, Bobby
Old 03-26-2003, 08:07 PM

I don' t know...I think light arrows for indoor spots and 3D and competition stuff is fine. Personally, and really only personal opinion cause some guys will argue the paint off the walls that lighter and faster has no downside, I think a bit heavier arrow will go a long way in penetration. That' s part of the reason I love Bowtech. I still push a 525 grain arrow at 245-250fps. Compared to most new rigs out there, that' s not fast....but it' s a 525 grain arrow. Nearing 70# of KE and I feel confident to shoot Moose, Bear...Hell I' ll take a crack at an elaphant if anyone will let me and with proper placement (even improper sometimes) I take home venison.

Some shoot the bare 5 gr/inch and kill plenty of deer too...but I do think that fatter shafts will do you justice as a finger guy.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:05 PM

I used Carbon Express Terminator Hunter selects last year with 145Gr head it weighed 500gr. Pretty hefty for a carbon and a plenty tough arrow. Broadheads flew accuratley out to 70 yards in practice rounds...