Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Accuracy Issues w/ Broadheads >

Accuracy Issues w/ Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Accuracy Issues w/ Broadheads

Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Accuracy Issues w/ Broadheads

Great for me at 60 yards is about 4-5" I do the same with field points, and with the rages, and with The Regular muzzies I abandoned.
I think It does have alot to do with if you shoot a thin wall or thick wall carbon shaft, or a thin diameter.
I have never had any problems with them.
I would never say I can shoot one hole groups that far away, my eyes just are not that good. lol

Old 10-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Spike

figured it out-

slight helical was catching the drop away-

plus muzzy broadheads were out of wack- went to Montec's 125

4 hours at the range last night has me back to 40yds comfortably-

thanks for the input- first time i tried alot of those things-

greatly appreciate your help
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Respectfully the simple fact of the matter is that new TOP quality carbon arrows have the capacity to shoot better than any of us can shoot. The old bias against carbon with current generation top quality arrows NO longer applys! Carbon arrows were not his problem. Don't believe me or the other poster-create a poll and let's find out. I think it would be interesting anyway.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM

this is just my opinion but...

paper tuning is not the only tuning you should do ,
its just a way to get close to start with,

after paper tuning , its then time to walkback/broadhead tune.

just my .02
Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Respectfully the simple fact of the matter is that new TOP quality carbon arrows have the capacity to shoot better than any of us can shoot.
I don't know bear...... I talk a pretty mean game over the internet.....

All kidding aside, there honestly are a select few folks who can outshoot the tolerances of their arrows. And I am lucky to know (or have associated with)a couple such folks. But they are honestly the top 1-2% of the archery world..... and their arrows are paid for anyway.

Carbons have come a long long way, but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Example: Easton/Beman really only make one or two different carbon shafts (accs and all not withstanding).... you got the Axis (X nocks) and the Epics (H nocks) and the ICS (S Nocks). Everything else (mostly H and S) that is put out by easton/beman as Excel's, hawks, or power hunters or power flights or cabela's arrows etc etc, are just arrows that did not meet the QC standards to become the top shelf arrows. DeBeer's doesn't set out to find 'slightly imperfect-yellow'gradediamonds.... but just because they find them on the hunt for true top shelf tiffany'squality stone's doesn't mean they are going to cast them aside either, because as they say in the car business, there's an ass for every seat.

Carbon Express does exactly the same thing. It's brilliant really from a business standpoint, and the vast majority of the archery world will buy up those Redhead fury arrows at $50 a dozen blissfully ignorant to the fact that quality control at CX could not evensell them at wal-mart as rebel hunters in good faith. And that isquite frankly because the vast majority of the archery world is really rather ignorantwith regards to theirequipment. Most all of us on here make up the 10%ers who live and die archery. We don't really represent an adequate sample of the real bowhunting world.

Carbon arrows have come a long way... but so have inspection, manufacturing and business techniques.... very rich is the man who can take an otherwiseworthless reject and convince someone to buy it for a profit.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I noticed you switching between 100 and 125 grain heads..........

I'm far from a technoid when it comes to archery (Haven't changed my setup in 4+ years), but, I did find that going from a 100gr montec to a 125gr montec on my CX 300's caused some "roll". My guess is the add'l weight decreased the effective spine of the arrow. The 100's fly like darts to this day.

I guess when you are at the edges of the "spine charts" little changes can make dramatic differences.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

i am kinda glad i dont shoot anywhere near as good as my arrows can be shot.
Then I would have little to work twords.
I cant imagine those guys shooting 4" groups at 100m with a 50 lb bow.... thats nuts.