Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fixed blades and mechanicals flying low/left? >

Fixed blades and mechanicals flying low/left?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fixed blades and mechanicals flying low/left?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Fixed blades and mechanicals flying low/left?

My wife has been shooting her Diamond Edge and her field tips fly great. Today she decided to try some hunting heads and they aren't flying even close to where they are supposed to. She was shooting at 20 yards, and the NAP Scorpions are about 3-4 inches low and left, and the fixed blades are about 6-8 inches low and left. She is drawing about 40 pounds, using Beman ICS jr arrows, and all the heads are 100 grains. She is using a Hostage rest and a wrist strap release. I know that not all the details are necessarily pertinent, but I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Fixed blades and mechanicals flying low/left?

First, is the bow properly tuned? Second, try what helpedme, line the vanes up with the blades. It made a difference in my accuracy.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just with the arrow info that head is on the heavy side. If lets say the arrow is light and the fletching is also light the tip will pull the arrow down. Add into that the amount of drag each head can produce and walla, it's doing just about what it's expected to do, but possibly exagerated because of other factors.

I'd be willing to bet her field points aren't going were there "supposed to" either. Their just going were the setup is sending them.

Short answer, if the broadheads go consistantly in the same spot, move the site and live with it until you have more info to go on (a tuning guide). She'll hit what's she's aiming at and that's the main thing.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be all you need to do is adjust the rest slightly (we're talking less than a sixteenth of an inch for each adjustment). First thing to do is make some reference marks so you can return the bow to the existing setup if need be.

Then try some tuning. If she's right handed, move the rest very slightly in toward the bow. Have her shoot FPs and BHs. If they now hit together (L to R), leave the rest there. Then move the rest up slightly and have her shoot again. If FPs and BHs hit together, you're all set. You may need to make more than one adjustment to get things together.

Then adjust pins as needed for desired POI.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

if you have the cash, go try some rage bheads. They have a practice head in there. It might be worth the money just to see if it is the bhead you are using. I got bad groups with certain heads also. Slick tricks and rage were the main ones I found that flew exactly with the fieldtips.

but like said, make sure the vanes arent hitting the rest. If you want to stick with those and the beahds are grouping the same spot every shot, then move the rest slightly to the left. Also, just check basic things like the peep sight if she has one. Make sure she's not dropping her arm on the shot. Make sure nothings lose. Sometimes a small issue can cause bigtime probs. Try the fieldtips and see if they go back to grouping the same. I had hell with my rest and my issue was dropping my arm on the shot.

goodluck and take your time...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Could be all you need to do is adjust the rest slightly (we're talking less than a sixteenth of an inch for each adjustment). First thing to do is make some reference marks so you can return the bow to the existing setup if need be.

Then try some tuning. If she's right handed, move the rest very slightly in toward the bow. Have her shoot FPs and BHs. If they now hit together (L to R), leave the rest there. Then move the rest up slightly and have her shoot again. If FPs and BHs hit together, you're all set. You may need to make more than one adjustment to get things together.

UncleNorby has the right solution to your problem. Broadhead tune the rig. No need to align vanes and blades, resetting the sights is just pretending that nothing is wrong, and no need to change broadheads. Throwing more money at the problem isn't going to address the real problem which is that the bow is slightly out of tune.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

UncleNorby has the right solution to your problem. Broadhead tune the rig. No need to align vanes and blades, resetting the sights is just pretending that nothing is wrong, and no need to change broadheads. Throwing more money at the problem isn't going to address the real problem which is that the bow is slightly out of tune.
x2 I thought my bow was tuned (paper tuned and FPs shot amazing) but then screwed on my BHs and found out that my bow wasn't tuned well at all for my setup. I BH tuned in the same manner UN described and now both FP and BH shoot even better than before.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

X4 alnog with norby, kodiak & austin