Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which arrows to buy?help >

Which arrows to buy?help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which arrows to buy?help

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Which arrows to buy?help

I am gettting my 82nd airborne and plan on pulling all 70#'s. Now the tip weight well, i will let you you guys decide.
My DL should be at 29 give or take 1/2 in( i know thats alot). Anyway I would like to stayas close as accuratley possible to 350 grainsand kinda what to have a bunch of white on the arrow so thet are easier to find.
Thanks for you input

Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which arrows to buy?help

First, you can not shoot 350 gr arrow out of 70 lb bow unless it is a High Country. You have to be over 5 GPP.

We need more arrow info. But here are some examples that I've shot out of my bow.

If you are shooting 100 gr arrows you could use Gold Tip 5575's cut around 28" w/ a 100 gr tip and be around 375 gr.

If shooting 125 gr tip you may still be able to use the 5575's with a wrap depending on arrow length and would be around 406 gr.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

First, you can not shoot 350 gr arrow out of 70 lb bow unless it is a High Country. You have to be over 5 GPP.

We need more arrow info. But here are some examples that I've shot out of my bow.

If you are shooting 100 gr arrows you could use Gold Tip 5575's cut around 28" w/ a 100 gr tip and be around 375 gr.

If shooting 125 gr tip you may still be able to use the 5575's with a wrap depending on arrow length and would be around 406 gr.

With an 82nd at 70#s, especially at his draw length, a 5575 would be WAY underspined in my experience. Infact, 5575s have given weak reactions at 29.5" out of 65# Allegiences with speed mods.

It is going to be pretty difficult to stay down around 5gpp with an arrow as long as yours, and with a poundage setting like you have. Honestly, there are a couple of arrows made by high country that you may be able to get light enough... some are down around 6.5 gpi... they are fairly spendy though.

Were I in your shoes, I'd shoot around a 400-420gr arrow... it will still be blistering fast, and you could probably shoot through a deer long ways with it. But you must must must get that spine right... worry more about spine and less about weight... you'll be shooting fast anyway I promise.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

With an 82nd at 70#s, especially at his draw length, a 5575 would be WAY underspined in my experience. Infact, 5575s have given weak reactions at 29.5" out of 65# Allegiences with speed mods.

It is going to be pretty difficult to stay down around 5gpp with an arrow as long as yours, and with a poundage setting like you have. Honestly, there are a couple of arrows made by high country that you may be able to get light enough... some are down around 6.5 gpi... they are fairly spendy though.

Were I in your shoes, I'd shoot around a 400-420gr arrow... it will still be blistering fast, and you could probably shoot through a deer long ways with it. But you must must must get that spine right... worry more about spine and less about weight... you'll be shooting fast anyway I promise.
Agreed 100%!!!!

Mallardkiller,
Don't get wrapped around the "speed" axle!!!! The further you push the limits, the better archer you will need to be. You've already pushed that limit to some extent because you're shooting an 82nd, no reason to try to shoot a LIGHT arrow that may not even spine up right with your set-up. Anything in the 340 spine series, which will be a GT 7595 series arrow should be ok, I'd probably go with something 28" in length if I were you, and tip it with either a 100 or 125, see how they both shoot, then make that decision. EVEN with a 425 grain arrow you're gonna be PLENTY fast. Also keep in mind that those LIGHT arrow make your bow LOUDER, and also can be part of the cause of bows having problems from bent axles to limb failure, etc, and the energy that is absorbed into you bow may also make anything that's not LOCKTIGHTED vibrate loose after so many shots!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my Alley is over 290 FPS with a 420 grain arrow your 82nd would be even faster and from shooting experience 5-10 fps makes little difference even out to 60 yds.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Spike

350-70# is 5gr per pound why should he be over that?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking 75 lbs when I stated the 375 gr arrow.

You should never be under 5 gpp unless the bow is rated to handle the stress. Furthermore, a lotof the bowsare very fast even with arrows over 6 gpp. And as stated earlier the faster the bow the more error comes into play.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Yea i was just wanting to be as close to the 350 as safely possibleand still be acurate but yea if i am only shooting 320fps but with 400 grains of fast flying mfing carbon that has to be more KE than most bows make anyway
Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mallardkiller

Yea i was just wanting to be as close to the 350 as safely possibleand still be acurate but yea if i am only shooting 320fps but with 400 grains of fast flying mfing carbon that has to be more KE than most bows make anyway
So why are you so excited about gaining 15fps while at the same time, risking damaging your bow and making it louder and less efficient????? If you really want to do it, a CX 3D Select 300 arrow with a 100gr tip at 27.5" should go 360 grains or so, but in all honesty, you may be volunteering yourself to be one of the "Blowtech" statistics going LIGHT like that. I've heard several of the guys that "blew" their bows up regret trying to shoot "the lightest" arrow possible.