HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which arrows to buy?help
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which arrows to buy?help

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

First, you can not shoot 350 gr arrow out of 70 lb bow unless it is a High Country. You have to be over 5 GPP.

We need more arrow info. But here are some examples that I've shot out of my bow.

If you are shooting 100 gr arrows you could use Gold Tip 5575's cut around 28" w/ a 100 gr tip and be around 375 gr.

If shooting 125 gr tip you may still be able to use the 5575's with a wrap depending on arrow length and would be around 406 gr.

With an 82nd at 70#s, especially at his draw length, a 5575 would be WAY underspined in my experience. Infact, 5575s have given weak reactions at 29.5" out of 65# Allegiences with speed mods.

It is going to be pretty difficult to stay down around 5gpp with an arrow as long as yours, and with a poundage setting like you have. Honestly, there are a couple of arrows made by high country that you may be able to get light enough... some are down around 6.5 gpi... they are fairly spendy though.

Were I in your shoes, I'd shoot around a 400-420gr arrow... it will still be blistering fast, and you could probably shoot through a deer long ways with it. But you must must must get that spine right... worry more about spine and less about weight... you'll be shooting fast anyway I promise.
Agreed 100%!!!!

Mallardkiller,
Don't get wrapped around the "speed" axle!!!! The further you push the limits, the better archer you will need to be. You've already pushed that limit to some extent because you're shooting an 82nd, no reason to try to shoot a LIGHT arrow that may not even spine up right with your set-up. Anything in the 340 spine series, which will be a GT 7595 series arrow should be ok, I'd probably go with something 28" in length if I were you, and tip it with either a 100 or 125, see how they both shoot, then make that decision. EVEN with a 425 grain arrow you're gonna be PLENTY fast. Also keep in mind that those LIGHT arrow make your bow LOUDER, and also can be part of the cause of bows having problems from bent axles to limb failure, etc, and the energy that is absorbed into you bow may also make anything that's not LOCKTIGHTED vibrate loose after so many shots!!!!