Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 inserts on a carbon arrow >

inserts on a carbon arrow

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

inserts on a carbon arrow

Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default inserts on a carbon arrow

how do i change an insert on a carbon arrow? any help welcome
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Default RE: inserts on a carbon arrow

You don't. They are super glued in, not a whole lot you can do. SOMETIMES....If you are REALLY, REALLY lucky, you can heat the tip and they'll come out......I'm successful about 1 out of 10.....
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

mobow is right, depending on what type of gluethey were put in with. If you do try to heat the insert, I would suggest screwing a field tip in about halfway and heating the field tip itself (not the insert), then using pliers to pull it out with. Take caution not to get the carbon too hot (always inspect it good after doing this).That is how I have done and it seems to work OK...Good luck with it!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

ty for the suggestions ill give it a try and see what i happens gl this season
Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Don't use heat. It is bad on the resins that hold the carbon fibers together. Find a drill bit that just barely fits into the shaft and put it in the nock end of the arrow shaft. Go outside to an area that you have some room and where you can safely do the following. Starting with the arrow insert end pointing up, sling the shaft in a downward whipping motion toward the ground so that the bit races down the interior of the shaft and beats against the insert. Do this repeatedly until the insert comes out. After a few slings, you'll see it start to creep out of the shaft. Be careful when it starts coming out because it and come out with some authority when it does and could hurt someone or puncture something. This is called the "jackhammer" method and I've used it many, many times with all types of glues. I've never had this not work.