Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Torn between 2 arrows( Axis and ICS) >

Torn between 2 arrows( Axis and ICS)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Torn between 2 arrows( Axis and ICS)

Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Torn between 2 arrows( Axis and ICS)

i have went through 2.5 dozen axis arrows in the last 3 years adn i couldnt be happier with them. they are perfect for everything (except target only). they fly straight and consistant and hit hard. i have never had one bad experience with them. i would venture to say that i have shot 5to6 thousand times with axis arrows and have never had an odd failure. i did have an fmj completely get destroyed in my target but it hit an insert that came out of another arrow. i actually just bought 6 nanos today. havent shot them yet but i will tomorrow. while i was in gander mtn waiting for them to put the inserts in i shot the range for grins and giggles and actually split one of my regular axis arrows. guess it was a good thing i got some more lol!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazyfarmer

guys, i measured my draw with the 32inch arrow on and its 27 right to the rest. Would 28 be to short? Or should I go 28.5 atleast in length
If you like the ICS Hunter with a .003 straightness, these are NICE...... http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0004537.shtml .......and the price is right. Raw shafts for $52/dozen, fletched for a little more. I've RH'd many of these, and they are better than MOST arrows out there you'll find. If you call a Cabela's store, you can get them cut to length, and shipped to your door for under $60/dozen, or at least that's what I'm usually getting them for.

If you go with a 28" arrow, which should be fine, and put a 125gr tip on it, you'd be just about as close to PERFECT as you could get for SPINE according to OT2, and maintain an FOC of 12.6%, which should equal GOOD arrow flight.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

i went to the shop today and bought 3 of the ICS and 3 of the axis to try. The guy at the shop measured my draw and cut them for 28.5

would the 125grain head still work better for FOC or would the 100grain head be better?

I refletched the ICS camo's and a pic is below

I really need to get rid of this nap360 rest since any offset on the vanes doesnt fly well out of it. Whisker biscuit here I come LOL. Its a little wobble out of the bow but im not sure if its from the 100grain tip or the dang rest. Everyone arrow doesnt do it, so i htink the rest is the issue.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll get a better FOC around 12% with the 125's (same basic weight specs as the Cabela's arrows), the 100's leave you around 9.6% if I remember correctly, according to OnTarget2, the Cabela's arrows I linked in spined just a little stronger and they are basically spec wise almost identical to a Beman ICS Hunter. Neither the Axis or ICS 400 spined quite perfect, it put me into needing a 115gr head, then the FOC was still a little lower. You're just a tiny bit weak spined with a the 125gr tip, but you should be better flight out of it, and it's by no means dangerously weak.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

whats the ideal FOC for arrows? 12-15%?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats the ideal FOC for arrows? 12-15%?
Depends on WHO you ask, the 12-15% is commonly mentioned, I've seen recommendation as low as 8 and 9%, but many guys find that those FOC's are too low for GOOD arrow flight.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

good idea buying both. good luck with them
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

OH, thanks for the info.. Mine are the 8-9% are flying ok, but they do seem a little less stable. Coming from the crossbow field, mine liked 15%. Not as quick as the 12% but flew alot better(more stable).

I may pick up some 125grain fieldtips just to see before buying 125bheads. Only issue is that I like rage and they dont make 125 ones
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH, thanks for the info.. Mine are the 8-9% are flying ok, but they do seem a little less stable. Coming from the crossbow field, mine liked 15%. Not as quick as the 12% but flew alot better(more stable).

I may pick up some 125grain fieldtips just to see before buying 125bheads. Only issue is that I like rage and they dont make 125 ones
Just trying to help a man out any way I can, I know this can be a VERY frustrating sport, and when we share information here to help each other, it makes the frustrations less and the enjoyment more!!!!! The internet is a wonderful tool for us to use to try to help each other, express frustrations, and share good stories of successes. I dearly wish it had been around when I was learning by "Trial and Error," and there was a LOT more ERROR than trial. I still know very little compared to a lot of the guys here, but I have a tiny bit of knowledge that I will gladly share.

Good Luck this season,