Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How common is this? >

How common is this?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How common is this?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How common is this?

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

A true robin hood (bulls eye splitting a bulls eye)... Not very common at all.

Accidentally splitting an arrow while shooting groups..... happens quite often.

I aint bustin on ya cause I have never had a true Robin hood either but I have split a few arrows.
5 of my 13 have come when setting bows up, and adjusting rests and sights. If you RH an arrow shooting 3 shot groups, it's a pretty good feat. None of my RH's have come at any closer than 22yds, and I had 2 in 3 days setting up new sights on a bow and transferring sights to my back-up. I shot one with each bow. If nothing else, I was consistent. I've never done it w/ a BH, because I shoot ONE BH at a time for a reason!!!! I can't tell you how many nocks and arrows I've busted, but I've "tubed" 13 arrows through the years.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM

i thought the true meaning of "robin hood" was hitting another arrow so dead center that the arrow splits completely in half....but according to mithbusters its imposible
Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

OHbowhntr, I agree it is pretty good to do it with three shot groups but it isn't all that rare.

But a true robin hood is one arrow in the bulls eye and the very next arrow inside that arrow on purpose.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was in the 10 ring of the 3D target so I guess this qualifies as a "Robbinhood"....

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM

No one can do a true robin hood, it isscientifically impossible. It looked good in the movie though! Dang, yours looks identical to the one that I shot, the way that it is tore up at the end. Robin hoods are somewhat of a fluke because you are shooting good groups. However, I would like to see an archer call it out and then bust one! That can be done. My first and only robin hood to date was with my first two arrows shot from a brand new dozen of Cabela's Stalker arrows, which are basically Easton or Beaman's sold at a cheaper price and they are the best arrows I have shot so far. I've shot Gold Tips and Carbon Express before these and I am not looking back. I am sticking with Easton arrows. It was at 32 yards but I will have to admit mine was a fluke simply because I was shooting at the center of the target and they were hitting low. I five spot my shots now and I have to admit that it does take a little bit more skill to five spot so I prefer practicing that way anyhow. OR I will shoot three arrows to one side of the target to turn it so that it is a deer quartering away from me, then I let one rip to the center of the target for a perfect double lung shot.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

No one can do a true robin hood, it isscientifically impossible.
How is it scientifically impossible?

I bet this guy would beg to differ.

Peter Cave (we think under the beannie?)
our 9th "Robin Hooder" for the year, Peter RH'd his own Beman Carbon Divas, the shaft was neatly split all the way to the pile. Peter shot this shaft on Saturday which was a prelude of of thing to come, having won the club weekly round Peter went on to record his PB for a FITA the next day by shooting a 1331 (well done Peter)

And this guy too.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 AM

I split an arrow last night. I was shotoing 3 shot groups at 35 yards. My fist arrow hit almost dead center andmy second shot split my first arrow. Ill post pics of the arrow after work. I didnt have a camera with me to take pics in thetarget but i have the arrows to mess with my dad since he has been trying to do this for years at 10-20 yards.