Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fixed or Mechanical?? >

Fixed or Mechanical??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed or Mechanical??

Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Fixed or Mechanical??

Hey guys, I was just wandering what type of broadhead I should use. I had heard that if you used fixed, you have to reset your sights. Now, do I have to set them back everytime I want to practice with my field tips? Seems like alot of adjusting to me. Or, would it be easier to use mechanical? I had heard that they were alot like field tips, and didn't have to be adjusted each time. Any help or opinion on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Especially since season opens here in 2 days. Thanks, Jodie
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fixed or Mechanical??

Especially since season opens here in 2 days.
Uh huh....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i were you, i wouldnt be goin hunting, until you know FOR SURE your broadheads are tuned.. Better get some help from someone..
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

If i were you, i wouldnt be goin hunting, until you know FOR SURE your broadheads are tuned.. Better get some help from someone..
Ditto, If you tune your fixed blade braodheads correctly they will fly the same as your field points if your arrows are straight and your bow is tuned right as well. That being said, some of the mechanicals are pretty good. The key is to make a good shot in the boiler room no matter what broadheads you shoot.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

If your practiced up with your field points and are confident you can make a lethal shot on a deer, and don't know that much about tuning or don't have the time. Go with expand ables, they fly true and do a number on critters. You need to practice with what ever broad head your going to shoot. Buy a six pack and keep half of them new for hunting and practice with the rest.

For everything you need to know about tuning go to www.eastonarchery.com and download their tuning guide!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

The sad thing is, he's probably serious. Just amazes me the misinformation and the levels of bad arrow flight some people will accept. The problem of course is not with this hunter but with the education and professionalism at the point of sale. My pro shop wouldn't let you walk out with your first bow without thoroughly educating you and giving you a set of standards that would make you answer all these questions yourself. They would tune you to knowing what good arrow flight is, why you need it and how to achieve it. Then the question of fixed or mechanical would be answered by personnal preference and the equipment of choice(poundage/K.E.)
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Well, considering you posted exactly no information as to what your setup is, I can not recommend a mechanical head. With it being 2 days from the start of you season, I can not recommend you bowhunt either.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Regardless of wether or not you think I should be hunting here is not the question. I have only been bowhunting for one year. I am sorry if I don't know all there is yet. I had a perfectly good question, and decided to ask. I guess I'll seek my answer elsewhere. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: lcfirechief

Regardless of wether or not you think I should be hunting here is not the question. I have only been bowhunting for one year. I am sorry if I don't know all there is yet. I had a perfectly good question, and decided to ask. I guess I'll seek my answer elsewhere. Thanks anyway.
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the others here. You posted a question about something you heard about fixed broadheads.
I had heard that if you used fixed, you have to reset your sights.
I don't know who you heard this from, but I can assure you if I heard that I would ask WHY that is. And if you ask why you would have got the answer you seek, and that is: they should both fly the same! The only reason why they don't is because your BOW is not tuned.

Now what you don't know (obviously) is, by letting the others here know you have no idea what it is to tune your bow, you are not taking bow hunting seriously. Because if you did you would realize that, that step should not be overlooked. Am I making any sense here?

I suggest as others have that you go back to step one and take the time to UNDERSTAND your bow, how and why it works and what you need to do to get it (the bow) to shoot as true as it can possibly do. I guaranty you will never post a question like that again. It's not that the question was bad (no such thing) it's what it implies that is.

Sometimes we are in such a hurry to run out and hunt that we don't take the time and the STEPS needed to ensure that we are as prepared as we should be.

I hope you understand how disturbing that post was as you are only two days away from opening day and you have not taken the time to understand your bow and how it should work.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM

I haven't been bowhunting long, so I'm not as knowledgeable as most of these guys. What I do know is my mech. heads flew just like my fieldpoints did. I've never shot fixed heads. Last year was my first year hunting and I shot 5 deer all 40 yds or closer. For whatever that's worth, there it is.

Quick Reply: Fixed or Mechanical??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.