Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow choice for hunting? >

Arrow choice for hunting?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow choice for hunting?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Arrow choice for hunting?

Guys, I am new to bowhunting and have not been shooting long. When I boughtmy bow I bought some arrows to practice with and was wondering if I should stick with them for bow season? I shoot them accurately and they seem consistent. Any thoughts? Thanks, NRA
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow choice for hunting?

It all depends on what the arrows are, how much they weight, what your forward of center (FOC) is and what you are going to be hunting. If you shoot them well then you are probably good to go but some of the things that I mentioned above could come into play.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to be more specific if you want any advice.

What bow, drawweight, draw length, point weight, arrow type/size/length at a minimum.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM

First thing I would do is to go to a reputable pro shop. The larger retail chains just cant give the direction or attention someone new like you and I need. I have been struggling as of late getting my bow in hunting shape. I get good groups with my fieldpoints but when paper tested, different story. I have learned the flight of a fixed blade is the true test of a well tuned bow? I have made several posts in regards to this issue. Tons of helpful information. Check them out.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

You'll have to be more specific if you want any advice.

What bow, drawweight, draw length, point weight, arrow type/size/length at a minimum.
Ahh- my apologies I have a Bowtech Tomkat, 65 pound draw, 29 inch draw length, and I am shooting Beman ICS 400's with standard field tips....
Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, my advice would be to KISS, meaning "keep it simple stupid". An old adage used in archery. If it works then don't mess with it.

That doesn't mean don't experiment, but never forget what you started with. You play around and you might find a better "something", but you can always go back to what you know worked, and confidence is half the game in the sport.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Standard field tips? How heavy are they? Gotta make sure you are shooting the same weight broadheads as your field points, then tune the bow to make sure they both hit the same spot. Chances are your arrows will be fine.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Standard field tips? How heavy are they? Gotta make sure you are shooting the same weight broadheads as your field points, then tune the bow to make sure they both hit the same spot. Chances are your arrows will be fine.
100 grain tips. I thought about using Rage 2's, as they are 100 grain also I believe...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are good. Leave it alone.

You have good quality arrows so no need to change anything. Just make sure your bow is tuned to the best of your ability, you have practiced and go kill some deer.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You are good. Leave it alone.

You have good quality arrows so no need to change anything. Just make sure your bow is tuned to the best of your ability, you have practiced and go kill some deer.
Okay- I have been shooting every day now, and my 15 yard groups are getting pretty small. Alot of my three arrow groups have no arrow farther than 1.5-2 inches from the other. Usually two are almost touching. My 25 yard groups are more spread out but always in the kill zone. I am an ethical guy, and refuse to shoot beyond what my abilities let me. Glad to hear that my basic setup can be taken to the field. Thanks guys