Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

KE vs. Momentum

Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KE vs. Momentum

Let me start by saying that back in the mid 90's when I first got started in archery I evolved from a newby to running an archery club to shooting for a few different local shops within several years. I was avidly involded in archery until about 00' and took a break from the serious side of archery (competition), I continued to hunt through all the years,I had all the same equipment, arrows, bows etc. etc. etc.
This year I upgraded bows and arrows yadda, yadda, yadda...I have set up all my bows in the past to achieve maximum Kenetic Energy and it has always served me well with the large mechanicals that I have been shooting all those years....
Now I am hearing all the talk of momentum and I have reseached this subject some and I still don't understand it, I looked at a few arrow manufacturers sites and they still show KE needed to kill an animal with no mention of momentum.
Ok, now the question is can anyone explain how this momentum is achieved and where it plays into the big picture. Like I said I have always set my bows up to achieve the most KE that it will produce and it has served as a good tool for me. I need amomentum for dummies course here. I am not arguing that it doesn't have an important factor, I just want to know where it falls into play and how.....
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: KE vs. Momentum

I believe you can get ke from speed as well as weight,but a heavier arrow will have more momentem,at least it would seem that way to me.I think if you had 2 arrows producing tha same ke that the heavier arrow would have more downrange momentem than the lighter faster arrow.I have no evidence to back this up but it makes sense to me.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

I believe you can get ke from speed as well as weight,but a heavier arrow will have more momentem,at least it would seem that way to me.I think if you had 2 arrows producing tha same ke that the heavier arrow would have more downrange momentem than the lighter faster arrow.I have no evidence to back this up but it makes sense to me.
That makes since to me and that is what I had figured. The scoop that I am trying to dig up is where did this come from, I was neck deep in this sport for a many years with no mention of momentum, I want to know how does it play into the scheme....
Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know where it came from for sure,but I believe it comes from the argument over ke produced from speed vrs ke produced from a heavier setup.that is where some on her claimed that although a lighter arrow producing the same ke as a heavy arrow would lose mementem faster than the heavy arrow,espeically at longer distances.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Just read the thread you are refering to Curtis and it does not make sense to me. Sure arrow speed and arrow weight produce KE. DUH speedx speedx weight/blah,blah=KE. Speed and weight is KE.

Now his referance to momentum, he is implying that arrows of different speed and/or weight but equal KE arriving at the target will some how have a different value?????????? As he said there is no scientific evidence just his opinion. To me KE is the amount of punch at the target and if they're the same they're the same
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where it came from wasn't the correct terminology to use, I guess. I mean how did it come into play in archery?
I understand the affects of using a lighter arrow to accomplish more KE, I am refering to what I have seen posted was in reference to adding more weight to achieve more KE....Hell, I don't know, I am gonna keep setting mine up as heavy as I can without loosing KE.....Unless I can be proved that KE achieved with a heavier arrow is not the way to set up a hunting bow....
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Belushi

Just read the thread you are refering to Curtis and it does not make sense to me. Sure arrow speed and arrow weight produce KE. DUH speedx speedx weight/blah,blah=KE. Speed and weight is KE.

Now his referance to momentum, he is implying that arrows of different speed and/or weight but equal KE arriving at the target will some how have a different value?????????? As he said there is no scientific evidence just his opinion. To me KE is the amount of punch at the target and if they're the same they're the same
Hey John,I understand the theory but want I am trying to dig up is the formula, so I can play with it when I get home and start building new arrows....I want science damnit....
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM

I know you know that, you taught me. My point is he has all the ingredients of the formula and this "Momentum" he refers to is something he dreamed up.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 PM

I've had pass through shots on several deer (at22 yards or less) with about 60# of KE / .41 momentum.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the third time today that I've gotten to break out my picture! A hat trick for the Trick Pony!

This topic has been argued and fought over and closed and banned and reopened again. Its old hat around here. Use that search function and you'll read all the debate and banter you care to.

Quick Reply: KE vs. Momentum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.