HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - KE vs. Momentum
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
TexasBowHunter
Nontypical Buck

Default KE vs. Momentum

Let me start by saying that back in the mid 90's when I first got started in archery I evolved from a newby to running an archery club to shooting for a few different local shops within several years. I was avidly involded in archery until about 00' and took a break from the serious side of archery (competition), I continued to hunt through all the years,I had all the same equipment, arrows, bows etc. etc. etc.
This year I upgraded bows and arrows yadda, yadda, yadda...I have set up all my bows in the past to achieve maximum Kenetic Energy and it has always served me well with the large mechanicals that I have been shooting all those years....
Now I am hearing all the talk of momentum and I have reseached this subject some and I still don't understand it, I looked at a few arrow manufacturers sites and they still show KE needed to kill an animal with no mention of momentum.
Ok, now the question is can anyone explain how this momentum is achieved and where it plays into the big picture. Like I said I have always set my bows up to achieve the most KE that it will produce and it has served as a good tool for me. I need amomentum for dummies course here. I am not arguing that it doesn't have an important factor, I just want to know where it falls into play and how.....