Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

KE vs. Momentum

Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Default RE: KE vs. Momentum

Texas,

First let me give you a link to PSE's website where they have all of these calculations done already for you.

http://www.pse-archery.com/ - scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, lower right, there are speed, Kinetic energy, and momentumtables

Now, let me give you a physics breakdown of how to calculate your kinetic energy(KE) and momentum(P) so that you can completely understand it. The problem with using these physics formulas is that your units have to match, meaning you cannot just simply put your arrow weight in grains and use your velocity in ft/s to come out with an answer. The units for kinetic energy are kg*m^2/s^2 = Joule = N*m from these you can convert to ft*lbs or whatever you like. Therefore you need to first start by converting your arrow weight to kg's and your ft/s to m/s. I found this the easiest when converting later to ft*lbs etc. You can convert them however you like as long as the units match. The key to finding a heavier arrow with more kinetic energy than a lighter arrow is to make sure that your bow can get the SPEED or VELOCITY required to get the extra energy, vice versa with the lighter arrow having to be at a much greater speed. The amount of KE you get out of your bow will be a % lower then the amount of potential energy it is capable of. This efficiency will be in the 90's for sure.

Here is a formulated breakdown of the above example:

KE = 1/2*m*v^2P = m*v(v=P/m, simply solved equation for v)KE = (P^2)/(2*m) (plugged momentum equation into KE)

KE = kinetic energy
P = momentum
m = mass (for my examples in kg)
v = velocity (for my examples in m/s)

Now a 350 grain arrow = 0.022679kg and a 550 grain arrow = 0.0356394kg
1ft/s = 0.3048m/s

First the compound bow and 350 grain arrow at 300 ft/s:

KE = .5*0.022679kg*(300*0.3048)^2 = 94.813 kg*m^2/s^2 = N*m = 69.930 ft*lb

Now the 550 grain arrow at 200 ft/s:

KE = .5*0.035639kg*(200*0.3048)^2 = 66.219 kg*m^2/s^2 = N*m = 48.841 ft*lb

If you simply convert your arrow weight from grains to lbs and then multiply it by your speed in ft/s you get your momentum in ft*lbs/s.

Again using the above example:

350grains = 0.0500 lbs
P = 0.05*300 = 15 ft*lbs/s

550 grains = 0.078571 lbs
P = 0.0786*200 = 15.72 ft*lbs/s

As stated the 550 grain arrow has a slightly higher momentum but much less kinetic energy. For arguments sake, without shooting them into a target and taking pictures I do NOT know which would penetrate the target further.

Now this topic is still a very highly debated subject all over the physics forums, the problem is which factor contributes the most to penetration and which is better, having your arrow stick in the deer and makeit stumble or just have your arrow pass right through it. In my opinion most deer are killed by bleeding out rather than just blunt force and knocking them down. With that said I would rather have an arrow combination that would send my arrow right through the deer as then their would be two holes to bleed out of instead of one, some will disagree.

Penetration requires work to be done in order to move the arrow into the target. That being said which of the two is a measurement of work? The answer is kinetic energy. This does not however state which of the two principles is more important when hunting. The two compliment each other, the truth is that you need to play with your setup to find the best balance and penetration.

I am one of those 3D CLOWNS and I do find the speed side of archery interesting, not because of hunting but because of accuracy and error in distance judgement. If I can get the same KE or close with a lighter arrow and higher speed then I am going to do it everytime, why? Because when I'm out hunting, a difference of 5 yds might mean the difference between a miss or a kill with a slower bow, that error is corrected with a faster one.

I can talk more about this subject but I believe the point has been made. What do you want when you are hunting? Would you rather try to knock the deer down because you have so much momentum or would you rather just have the arrow pass through it and let it bleed to death.

The last formula that I put in this post is the relationship that Momentum has to kenetic energy:

KE = (P^2)/(2*m) This is in fact where the truth lies, that kinetic energy is directly proportional to momentum(P) (as P increases so does KE) and inverstly proportional to mass(m) (as mass increases KE decreases).

The answer is somewhere in the middle and really comparing Momentum to Kinetic Energy is like comparing apples to oranges, they both taste good so take one of each!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

If you will read my post, I am trying to find out how to figure momentum a formula or something along those lines. This thread was not intended to become a debate. The last time I looked this was the tech forum, where else would I go to find out a formula or to learn about momentum?
And if you will read mine... maybe you'll clue in about the SEARCH function.

For what its worth... the forumula for Momentum is simply mass x velocity. Its a big huge number... and its much easier to remember numbers between 0 and 100 as used with the KE formula that it is the results you'll have with momentum. The only use of it really is to see how mass and speed relate to each other, and how, generally, your arrows energy will change if you increase one or the other.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If you will read my post, I am trying to find out how to figure momentum a formula or something along those lines. This thread was not intended to become a debate. The last time I looked this was the tech forum, where else would I go to find out a formula or to learn about momentum?

For what its worth... the forumula for Momentum is simply mass x velocity. Its a big huge number... and its much easier to remember numbers between 0 and 100 as used with the KE formula that it is the results you'll have with momentum. The only use of it really is to see how mass and speed relate to each other, and how, generally, your arrows energy will change if you increase one or the other.
Technically I gave him the technical formulas and examples so that Texas can compute his KE and P just like a Technician
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is in fact where the truth lies, that kinetic energy is directly proportional to momentum(P) (as P increases so does KE) and inverstly proportional to mass(m) (as mass increases KE decreases).
KE is NOT directly proportional to momentum. KE does NOT decrease with an increase in mass.

If what you said were true, and KE is directly proportional to momentum, the 550 gn arrow in the example would have to have a very similar KE value as the 350 gn arrow because the P values are similar. But, in fact, it's KE value is significantly lower. 31% lower in fact.

It is also generally known that when shooting a light arrow and a relatively heavier arrow from the same bow at the same draw weight, the heavier arrow, even though traveling slower, carries slightly MORE KE because it absorbs more energy from the bow than the light one does - except in rare cases.

In my example, the two arrows are not shot from the same bow because the KE values are widely divergent. However, the heavier arrow is capable of doing a similar amount of work with a much lower KE value simply because it has a similar amount of momentum on it's side. Shoot both arrows from the same bow at the same draw weight and the heavier arrow will most likely have only 1-2 ft lbs more KE, but it's momentum figure will be substantially higher. Therefore it's penetration potential will be substantially better, all other things remaining equal.

It may not be technically correct to say, but the way I think it's easiest to understand it this way: KE is the capacity for doing work, but momentum is the deciding factor in determining how that capacity is used to do the work. They are complimentary values. Each has the thing the other needs to get the job done.

KE is the capacity for doing work. It's a quantitive value with no directional preference. Momentum is how that capacity is used over time, in a specific direction. It is your vector value. Those are the two things that work together to power that arrow through the air to the animal and then through the vitals. They are two sides of the same coin. It's how you choose your arrow weight that determines how much momentum you get. KE will remain relatively constant for a given bow.

The key thing to take from this is that if you have lower KE, like with a traditional bow, light draw weight, short power stroke, older and less efficient bow, and/or if you hunt larger, tougher animals and need more penetration, you can achieve the needed results by going to a heavier arrow and working up the momentum side. If you've got enough KE to blow a toilet plunger through an Abrams tank - many high performance 70 lb compounds these days are putting out more energy than bowhunters used to use for hunting elephants! - then you can fudge down on weight and momentum in interest of gaining speed and still get the job done. (How many times have I posted that before in these dead horse beatings? )

It's a trade-off. Add weight for more momentum and better penetration but lose some speed. Reduce weight for more speed and flatter trajectory but sacrifice momentum.

I take the momentum over speed for two reasons. I want all the penetration potential I can get and still retain a reasonable arrow speed and trajectory. No such thing as overkill on penetration, in my book. Second, when I misjudge yardage, I almost always go long. Flatter trajectory would just have me shooting higher over the critter's back.[&:]

Actually, I refuse to poke an arrow at game beyond 30 yards anyway, really prefer to get within 20. Getting close and not taking hero shots really cuts down on the error factor all by itself.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Say Richard!!!!!! I did try the search and came up with nothing but thanks for your input....It is duly noted.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Search function here sucks. I never get any results at all when I've tried to use it. It's been that way for years.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100%, I have tried it several times with zero luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

ok if two objects lets say square boxes that weigh the same and are traveling the same speed they have the same kinetic energy. right? ok now say one box is in the shape of a upright door and the other is a long narrow box like a pole...still with me?.. ok now they both are traveling at the same speed now but down range due to friction the door shape will slow and the more compactpole shape has lost less and there fore will have more momentum at impact point. Follow?
Yes sir totally....What I want to know, for example a couple of posts before yours "im ocd" posted a stated value of .41for his momentum, I want to know the formula for momentum. How did he get that value.I have searched this forum and the internet tono avail....I thought someone on here would know the formula for momentum!!!!
TexasBowHunter:
I intentionally gave a momentum value the first time withoutproviding arrow weight or speed.
IME many times in this type of discussion people will say a *** grainarrow is too light, or they want more momentum than a light arrow carries, when they don't know how to determine momentum to make comparisons in the first place.

I wasn't involved in the other discussion or any previous ones, so I'll give my examples here:
In my example of 60 LB of KE with a momentum of .41 here is my arrow:
315 grain arrow @ 294 fps (I was shooting a 60# 29'' Mathews LX at the time)

KE: 294x294=x315=??????????/450240= 60
Momentum is (weight x speed/225120) 315x294=???????? / 225120 = .41

People would tell mea 315 gr.arrow did not carry enough momentum, when they had no idea how mich it actually had. [:'(]I've been through it before and here is how it works:
First I toss out a little bait...
Do you think a 520 grain arrow is heavy enough?
Traditional shooters typically have lots of momentum right?

Drop some data:

Aug. 06 Bowhunting World. 17 recurve bows tested. Average draw weight 59.8# Average KE 36.8#

Aug. 07 Bowhunting World 13 longbows tested. Average draw weight 60.7# Average KE 34.9#

Total of 30 traditional bows tested with an average draw weight of about 60.7# Average KE 35.8#

The average speed of the traditional bows is 176.3 fps with a 520 gr. arrow. Momentum = .407
My bow shoots a 315 gr. arrow @ 294 fps = .441 momentum

My light arrow carries considerably more KE and and more momentum than an accepted standard. [:@]

After I post that little bit of information the typical response will be, "I still wouldn't use an arrow that light" or "nobody I know who has been hunting a long time and killed a lot of deer uses an arrow that light". They go from data based to opinion based when data doesn't agree with their position. It did not matter that I had already gotten pass through shots with the combination. Finally, they might resortto telling me the deer I was shooting were smaller than their deer.

I don't have an interest in debating momentum so I simply laid out all the cards at once.

Now, I'm using a 350 grain arrow at 311 fps, to me, it has lots of KE / momentum.[8D]
This is true but these measurements are calculated right off the rest.What will the lighter arrow do at say 30yds or 40yds? It'll lose more energy than the heavier shaft.That's plain physics and physics doesn't lie.

KE is a value for an object in motion hitting another object--that's all it is.Momentum is a value of an object hitting another object and remaining in motion after it hits
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Can't we all get along? Now who needs a hug? ? ? ? Anyone? Anyone? ..Crud...........
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

WOW! I never knew what I was getting into with all these equations,you guys are taking all the fun out of it.I'm going to work!

Quick Reply: KE vs. Momentum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.