Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

KE vs. Momentum

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KE vs. Momentum

ORIGINAL: im ocd

I've had pass through shots on several deer (at22 yards or less) with about 60# of KE / .41 momentum.
I am not trying to find out what your bow will do at said KE or momentun, I want to know the formula for figuring your .41 momentum.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

This is the third time today that I've gotten to break out my picture! A hat trick for the Trick Pony!

This topic has been argued and fought over and closed and banned and reopened again. Its old hat around here. Use that search function and you'll read all the debate and banter you care to.
If you will read my post,I am trying to find out how to figure momentum a formulaor something along those lines. This thread was not intended to become a debate.The last time I looked this was the tech forum, where else would I go to find out a formula or to learn about momentum?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

ok if two objects lets say square boxes that weigh the same and are traveling the same speed they have the same kinetic energy. right? ok now say one box is in the shape of a upright door and the other is a long narrow box like a pole...still with me?.. ok now they both are traveling at the same speed now but down range due to friction the door shape will slow and the more compactpole shape has lost less and therefore will have more momentum at impact point. Follow? ok the more it weighs the more stored energy it has. like the ton of bricks and the ton of feathers senerio..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

where else would I go to find out a formula or to learn about momentum?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

ok if two objects lets say square boxes that weigh the same and are traveling the same speed they have the same kinetic energy. right? ok now say one box is in the shape of a upright door and the other is a long narrow box like a pole...still with me?.. ok now they both are traveling at the same speed now but down range due to friction the door shape will slow and the more compactpole shape has lost less and there fore will have more momentum at impact point. Follow?
Yes sir totally....What I want to know, for example a couple of posts before yours "im ocd" posted a stated value of .41for his momentum, I want to know the formula for momentum. How did he get that value.I have searched this forum and the internet tono avail....I thought someone on here would know the formula for momentum!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

ck out the wikipedia link above. on the page on the top right is the formula
Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

where else would I go to find out a formula or to learn about momentum?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
Bruce, thank you!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 AM

ok if two objects lets say square boxes that weigh the same and are traveling the same speed they have the same kinetic energy. right? ok now say one box is in the shape of a upright door and the other is a long narrow box like a pole...still with me?.. ok now they both are traveling at the same speed now but down range due to friction the door shape will slow and the more compactpole shape has lost less and there fore will have more momentum at impact point. Follow?
Yes sir totally....What I want to know, for example a couple of posts before yours "im ocd" posted a stated value of .41for his momentum, I want to know the formula for momentum. How did he get that value.I have searched this forum and the internet tono avail....I thought someone on here would know the formula for momentum!!!!
TexasBowHunter:
I intentionally gave a momentum value the first time withoutproviding arrow weight or speed.
IME many times in this type of discussion people will say a *** grainarrow is too light, or they want more momentum than a light arrow carries, when they don't know how to determine momentum to make comparisons in the first place.

I wasn't involved in the other discussion or any previous ones, so I'll give my examples here:
In my example of 60 LB of KE with a momentum of .41 here is my arrow:
315 grain arrow @ 294 fps (I was shooting a 60# 29'' Mathews LX at the time)

KE: 294x294=x315=??????????/450240= 60
Momentum is (weight x speed/225120) 315x294=???????? / 225120 = .41

People would tell mea 315 gr.arrow did not carry enough momentum, when they had no idea how mich it actually had. [:'(]I've been through it before and here is how it works:
First I toss out a little bait...
Do you think a 520 grain arrow is heavy enough?
Traditional shooters typically have lots of momentum right?

Drop some data:

Aug. 06 Bowhunting World. 17 recurve bows tested. Average draw weight 59.8# Average KE 36.8#

Aug. 07 Bowhunting World 13 longbows tested. Average draw weight 60.7# Average KE 34.9#

Total of 30 traditional bows tested with an average draw weight of about 60.7# Average KE 35.8#

The average speed of the traditional bows is 176.3 fps with a 520 gr. arrow. Momentum = .407
My bow shoots a 315 gr. arrow @ 294 fps = .441 momentum

My light arrow carries considerably more KE and and more momentum than an accepted standard. [:@]

After I post that little bit of information the typical response will be, "I still wouldn't use an arrow that light" or "nobody I know who has been hunting a long time and killed a lot of deer uses an arrow that light". They go from data based to opinion based when data doesn't agree with their position. It did not matter that I had already gotten pass through shots with the combination. Finally, they might resortto telling me the deer I was shooting were smaller than their deer.

I don't have an interest in debating momentum so I simply laid out all the cards at once.

Now, I'm using a 350 grain arrow at 311 fps, to me, it has lots of KE / momentum.[8D]
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

TexasBowHunter:
I intentionally gave a momentum value the first time withoutproviding arrow weight or speed.
IME many times in this type of discussion people will say a *** grainarrow is too light, or they want more momentum than a light arrow carries, when they don't know how to determine momentum to make comparisons in the first place.

I wasn't involved in the other discussion or any previous ones, so I'll give my examples here:
In my example of 60 LB of KE with a momentum of .41 here is my arrow:
315 grain arrow @ 294 fps (I was shooting a 60# 29'' Mathews LX at the time)

KE: 294x294=x315=??????????/450240= 60
Momentum is (weight x speed/225120) 315x294=???????? / 225120 = .41

People would tell mea 315 gr.arrow did not carry enough momentum, when they had no idea how mich it actually had. [:'(]I've been through it before and here is how it works:
First I toss out a little bait...
Do you think a 520 grain arrow is heavy enough?
Traditional shooters typically have lots of momentum right?

Drop some data:

Aug. 06 Bowhunting World. 17 recurve bows tested. Average draw weight 59.8# Average KE 36.8#

Aug. 07 Bowhunting World 13 longbows tested. Average draw weight 60.7# Average KE 34.9#

Total of 30 traditional bows tested with an average draw weight of about 60.7# Average KE 35.8#

The average speed of the traditional bows is 176.3 fps with a 520 gr. arrow. Momentum = .407
My bow shoots a 315 gr. arrow @ 294 fps = .441 momentum

My light arrow carries considerably more KE and and more momentum than an accepted standard. [:@]

After I post that little bit of information the typical response will be, "I still wouldn't use an arrow that light" or "nobody I know who has been hunting a long time and killed a lot of deer uses an arrow that light". They go from data based to opinion based when data doesn't agree with their position. It did not matter that I had already gotten pass through shots with the combination. Finally, they might resortto telling me the deer I was shooting were smaller than their deer.

I don't have an interest in debating momentum so I simply laid out all the cards at once.

Now, I'm using a 350 grain arrow at 311 fps, to me, it has lots of KE / momentum.[8D]
Thank You Barry, that is what I was looking for, for my own personal calculations of my arrows.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That makes since to me and that is what I had figured. The scoop that I am trying to dig up is where did this come from, I was neck deep in this sport for a many years with no mention of momentum...
For many years, we didn't have to worry about momentum. We didn't ever consider KE either, when you step back and think about it. We had recommended draw weights for different game. We shot wood, aluminum and fiberglass arrows. Plenty of arrow weight, nothing to worry about except putting the arrow in the right spot.

When they came out with featherweight carbon arrows, that's when we started having problems. Not nearly enough mass for reliable performance with lighter draws and/or lower performance bows. Bows that did just fine with arrows with some mass to them.

It was the speed freak 3D clowns - high draw weight, low arrow weight for maximum speed - that brought the things off the target range and into the woods, wondering whether they could get those soda straw arrows to work. Well, they found out that their little arrows would often pass through a deer. That's when folks tried to figure out how the hell that could be possible, and the KE/momentum debate was born.

And I'm not going to get into it again. It just reminds me how ignorant speed freaks really are about things... like physics.

You asked for the formula for momentum. It's too unwieldy for everyday use. I've got a penetration index I like that came from a magazine some years ago. Weight(in grains) X Speed (in FPS) / 10,000. It's weighted toward the momentum side because it doesn't square velocity. Quick and easy instead of having to remember all those formulae.

Say you've got a 550 grain arrow at 200 fps. It has an index of 11. A 350 gn arrow at 300 fps figures out at 10.5. To a thinking man, it tells you how an old recurve can zip a hefty arrow through on large game just as easily, or maybe more easily, than a high performance compound with that has far greater speed and KE, but ultralight arrows.

Quick Reply: KE vs. Momentum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.