Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Haven't bowhuntd in YEARS. >

Haven't bowhuntd in YEARS.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Haven't bowhuntd in YEARS.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Default Haven't bowhuntd in YEARS.

Hi Folks!

Its been since the late '60s or maybe very early '70s since I did any bowhunting. Yeah, back then compound bows were pretty much brand new. So I know nothing about the modern version of the sport. And I need HELP!

Where I live, I'm not terribly comfortable hunting on public land during gun season. Too many hunters and too many complicated regulations. I guess I'm too lazy to read "War and Peace" just to keep track of the regs. Hunting public land in NW Connecticut is WAY more complicated than hunting on the military bases in Virginia where I used to live.

Anyway, not wanting to gun hunt on public land and unable to get gun hunting permission on private land, I want to get back into bow hunting for deer. I've got some good public land nearby that gets little preassure during bow season and access to a small pece of private land (bowhuntng only) thats loaded with deer.

I need to get an inexpensive bow, some arrows, a release and an inexpensive stand. So I need advice, 'cause I know virtually nothing about the sport as it exists today. There is a bowshop nearby that sells used bows.I understanding that compound bows come in certain draw lengths. How do I determine my draw length? I understand modern bows need to be "tuned" and I'll read the threads here on the subject, but can anyone reccommend any simple crib notes on the subject? I guess what I'm asking is what is the inexpensive simple way to get back into the sport.

I know that the most important things are practice and not shooting at game at longer ranges than I can be accurate. I'm confident I can get plenty of opportunities under 15 yards, so I suspect that a couple of weeks practice for an hour a day will get me where I need to be.

Hope you all can help me out.

Thanks...2fewdaysafield
Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Haven't bowhuntd in YEARS.

Welcome to the boards and back to bowhunting! Bows certainly have changed in the last couple decades. If I were you, I'd go to a bow shop and get measured for draw length. Shoot as many bows in your price range as you can and make a decision based on what bow feels best to you. Also, I wouldn't over-bow. A 60# bow will kill deer just as well as a 70# bow and you won't knock yourself out while practicing or have a hard time drawing after sitting in the cold weather for a few hours. There is a ton of info regarding sights, rests, and other accessories here. This forum is a great source of information, if you have questions, just ask. Also, searching the forum is a good way to find answers to questions that others have already asked, so doing a search is a great way of finding the info you need.Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Not only have the bows gotten better and more advanced but so have the scent control products. I personally wouldn't get caught up in the whole carbon clothing business but i would do some research on modern scent control. There are detergents, dryer sheets, wipes and cover wafers. As far as a bow goes, don't feel like you have to go buy a $600 bow to be successful. I paid $350 for my Martin brand new and i have just as tight of groups as many of my friends who shoot top of the line bows. Just make sure that it's quiet and comfortable.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since it's been so long since you last shot a bow you're going to want to consider some other changes. Will you be shooting with a release or using fingers? This will have some impact on your bow selection since finger shooters tend to prefer a longer ATA. You'll want to consider your anchor choices. Peep sight and kisser button are 2 most popular. After that the rest is just easy stuff with regards to arrow rest, sight pins, quiver, etc.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're how old? you might want to start off with a stand close to the ground, justin case you fall off.. Get used to it on this forum, the stick it to me all the time...

This was probably your best move. There is a lot of wisdom on here. PM me with some questions, and I'll be happy to help you out. We also have many on the forum that THINK they know it all. (trying not to be sarcastic, but you all know it's true) you know who you are.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some magazines and ask lots of questions on here where it's free! The mags will show you whats new and the folks on here will help with practical advice! The Rev has helped me with bow questions since I started last year!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

Buy some magazines and ask lots of questions on here where it's free! The mags will show you whats new and the folks on here will help with practical advice! The Rev has helped me with bow questions since I started last year!

What in the world is wrong? Why are you mad at me today??????????????? No insult today.???????
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Anyone got any idea how to determine my draw length? Nearest bowshop that will do it is a HIKE, but the used bowshop that wont measure me is close by. Gee! The recurve I used 30 +++ yeaars ago didn't require being measured. Buy bow, buy arrows, practice.

And YES....REV I am that old! No sweat about a little ribbing! You should see the shotgun site I was on a year or so ago. One fellow told me that any shotgun that cost less than the car I drive would be useful only as afencepost! But he was wrong, the double I bought for under $1k works just fine, or anyway the sporting clays think so!

There is a deer blowing outside my window even as I type. Got to find a bow!

jeramyK....I'm going to use a release....easier on the fingers on a cold morning, especially if I have to hold my draw for any length of time.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

What in the world is wrong? Why are you mad at me today??????????????? No insult today.???????
I'm being nice today and giving credit where it is due.Youhave enough faults that I don't have to point all of them out!So your liberal,blind,old,democrat,....the list goes on,but you do help with good advice...at times.Oh forgot your Kanga's best buddy,not sure what direction that would go.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ya know, 2fewdaysafield, they still make recurves, Martin/Damon Howatt and Bear are still pumping them out and there are gobs and gobs of custom bowyers. Nowadays they call recurves and longbows 'traditional' archery. Kind of a backhanded way of telling us we're old, I think... Also, you can get a pretty good vintage 'curve on Ebay for a reasonable price. Those oldies really shoot just as well, or better, than a lot of the new production bows, even better a lot of the customs. Don't know if that's something you'd be interested in, but it never hurts to have more options.