Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This years rut?

Old 09-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default This years rut?

What have you heard about when the rut will be this year in the Northeast? I want to plan vacation days around that time.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: This years rut?

November 4th thru the 12th should be PRIMETIME in the Northeast
Old 09-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im in De and,Avalanche is right it is usally around the 4th though the 12th pending on when the full moon is and how cold it is.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The rutting moon falls on Nov 5 this year. That means that the first big wave of does should come into estrous around the 7th.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM

last yr my cousin killed a buck in full rut.. nose was red.. neck swollen, glans all wet.. withhis nose to the ground... its hard to say
Old 09-18-2006, 01:49 PM

I agree with you guys around the 5th ,in the northeast
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds about right BTB,
I heard that the trolling phase will be between the 4th and 7th and most bucks will be in lockdown around the 8th.
Personally, I prefer the trolling phase to ALL others. When they are locked down on a doe they are hard to stick with an arrow. Plus you have the doe to pick you out..has happened to me several times.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:18 PM

I'm not sure I agree. While no expert, I've seen most deer acting stupid Thanksgiving week. I've read predictions from some very knowledgeable and successful hunters using everything from moon phasesto weather and I'm sure that they're all factors, but in northern VT and NH, it seems the third week of November is the most consistent for producing "Stupid, Love Struck Bucks".

To me, it makes sense that does are likely to go into heat after a set period of time after they give birth to a fawn(s). Keeping time through hours of daylight. Has anyone else heard this explanation?

Old 09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard that the trolling phase will be between the 4th and 7th and most bucks will be in lockdown around the 8th.
Personally, I prefer the trolling phase to ALL others.
Yup the 4th to the 7th should be awesome. The best time to kill a largely nocturnal dominant buck is in those days before the majority of does come into estrous. the few early does will be relentlessly pursued and the dominantmature bucks sometimes abandon their normal caution and make stupid mistakes. I am a firm believer that when a 5 1/2 or older buck is harvested, it's more because he made a mistake than the hunter outwitted him.

I'm not sure I agree. While no expert, I've seen most deer acting stupid Thanksgiving week.
Last year the peak was almost 10 days later than the expectedpeak this year. Weather can have a effect but I am a firm beleiver in the theory that calls for the true "peak" to fall two days after the second full moon (the rutting moon)after the fall equinox. This year that full moon will be Nov 5.

Photoperiodism is the main driver but the second full moon seems to be the ultimate trigger.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VT Ridges

I'm not sure I agree. While no expert, I've seen most deer acting stupid Thanksgiving week. I've read predictions from some very knowledgeable and successful hunters using everything from moon phasesto weather and I'm sure that they're all factors, but in northern VT and NH, it seems the third week of November is the most consistent for producing "Stupid, Love Struck Bucks".

To me, it makes sense that does are likely to go into heat after a set period of time after they give birth to a fawn(s). Keeping time through hours of daylight. Has anyone else heard this explanation?

When that happens, I think it is because young or unbred does come into late estrous and the bucks all compete for that last few left. Competition gets fierce at that point. This kind of action can be unreliable though because it is a scattered phenomenon. My Dad killed a beaut of a mature 10 point in just that kind of a situation on Dec 1 in the big woods of the ANF in 2002. He was chasing a hot doe all over the mountain. Had it not been for that late doe, he probably would have died of old age.

Quick Reply: This years rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.