Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 From gold tip hunters to XX78' s >

From gold tip hunters to XX78' s

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

From gold tip hunters to XX78' s

Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 AM

Default From gold tip hunters to XX78' s

My hunting season is over, it is time to tinker. I will be installing a whisker biscuit in the coming weeks and am thinking of changing shafts. While doing various searches on aluminum shafts, I learned that carbons are not " broken or straight" as I had previously thought. While testing mine I found that almost half of my gold tip hunters were not straight. But, there is no telling how many times they have been shot either. I must admit, I have never shot aluminum shafts. I started with beman hunters and then went to gold tips. With my set up, the chart says I should shoot 2314' s, but would like as much spine as possible. Set up is as follows:
Q2 @ 57lbs-29 1/4" arrows-100 gr steel force bh' s-release. I have had good results in the past with bemans (4 deer) and especially gold tips (5 deer) but want the performance ( quiet, less vibration, penetration) that I expect to get from the XX78 shaft. I could use some help on shaft selection though, from those that have the experience that I don' t have.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:48 AM

Default RE: From gold tip hunters to XX78' s

i have always shot xx78 2315. they have never let me down and my magnatec set at 66 pounds and is one of the quietest bows that i have ever heard. this setup is not the fastest i think i was getting like 225fps.
bought the ultratec this year and decided to try goldtip xt so far i like them although there is more string noise involved and roughly 50 fps increase.
this was a tough decision for me to make. the 78' s did every thing i asked from them and i do not think you will have any problems goine to alu. i think they are a lot more durable than they get credit for. yes they will bend but i can afford to bend an arrow when i have meat in my freezer.
i just hope i did not make a huge mistake going to the xt' s this year. hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

XX78' s are very good shafts. I' ve been shooting them for a long time. If it was me, I' d try 2216' s for your setup. They will give you plenty of spine, and are very strong compared to the thinner walled shafts. The chart is good, but I' ve found it' s usually a good starting point...not gold. I' ve been able to make 2216' s fit a fairly broad variety of setups, with excellent arrow flight. Go get 1 shaft..and see how it does, or borrow one from a friend if you can.
Good luck
Old 03-04-2003, 08:01 PM

Hi,

Shoot a Conquest at 60# and 28" draw.My best flying arrows are 2314-xx78' s.

The 2215-xx78' s also flew well.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:29 AM

Thanks Guys, I will grab some of all sizes that are close to what the chart says and go from there. I am a tree stand hunter and am more concerned with the quietest and best set up that I can get, as opposed to speed. I expect to lose some fps with this change, and I am fine with that. I read in an article the other day that Jim Dougherty and the president of Easton, I believe his name was Greg Easton, both shot the XX78 for all of their hunting. I am also ready to go back to feathers after a one year switch to vanes. I have a lot of shooting and tinkering to do with all of these changes, but that' s a fun part of the game.