Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better? >

Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better?

I only have four Gold Tip XT hunter 7595 arrows left and some Carbon Express Wolverines my buddy said I should try from Walmart. I want to get to using ONE arrow exclusively for the sake of consistancy. I was going to buy at least one, and maybe two dozen more arrows for this coming season.
Am I best off sticking with the Gold Tips XT Hunters or going another direction completely? There seem to be so many arrows around it's tough to know what to get without shooting them.
Sure I'd love to be over 300 FPS but consistant accuracy is more imortant to me than blistering speed if that makes any difference.
Also, if there is somewhere I can get agreat deal ordering the arrows and can have them cut and inserts installed to my length I'd appreciate hearing about the place.
I shoot a Bowtech Patriot the scales at 73 lbs if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Hollow Point
Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better?

Try the Gold Tip Pro Hunters, depending on your arrow size, probablly 75/95's. They far surpass the XT's in every aspect and are overall a much better arrow that won't break the bank. They have the same specs as alot of arrows that cost much more.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the same. Going to try some Beman ics hunter elites as soon as Keystone gets some in. Looking for some thing a little tougher and with a better finish.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. I'll do some rearch on the arrows you suggested.

Here's another question for you.

Why amI (and probably you too) shooting 7595 arrows (heavier) when my bow only pulls 70 to 73 lbs?

It seems likeit would make more sense tobe shooting the 5575 arrows.

Hollow Point
Old 07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can go to the Goldtip web site and punch in the specs of your setup and it will tell you which arow to buy. The Draw length, arrow length and cam type and tip weight are all as important as the draw weight. It will also give you FOC calculations . Check out the website it's slick.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is a good website Terry. The foc calculator is not accurate though. Take an arrow and do it manually mine was considerably off. Said I was around 11 and they were 6-7.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a huge difference in FOC. Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? The specs of your arrows could different than the model used. The weight of your vanes can be different than the test ones. If you post your draw length, arrow length, tip weight, bow poundage and cam style I'm sure lots of seasoned archers will help you with a choice but you need that info to make a recommendation.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:19 AM

If you post your draw length, arrow length, tip weight, bow poundage and cam style I'm sure lots of seasoned archers will help you with a choice but you need that info to make a recommendation.

Terry, thanks for the information.

My draw length is 29", arrow length (shaft only with no nock and no insert) is 26 9/16", the tip weight is 100 grains (not including the insert weight), my bow pulled 73 lbs last fall, I haven't checked it this year yet, and my Patriot is a single cam (lower wheel) with a small upper wheel. My rest is a Rip Cord drop away rest.

Thanks for the help

Hollow Point

Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The foc calculator from Jackson's page was a lot closer. Try punching your numbers into both and see if they come out the same. Or do it manually. Take the length and divide it by the length from nock to the point of balance and subtract .5 and you'll have the % ahead of center. If the arrow is 30" long and when you balance it the point from the nock is 17.5" just divide 17.5 by 30 and it comes out to .5833333. Subtract .5 and you come out with .0833333... or 8.3% ahead of center. You can do this with whatever head you have on as they are different and be right where you want to be. My points and Bh's are different so with that and other things involved I stop trying to make them hit the same place, there different to begin with.

It's easy to do.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on your specs it looks like you on the line between the 5575 and 7595 if in fact your arrows are that short. With a 29" draw length and 73lbs of of draw weight I would should shoot a 28-29" arrow minimum and would likely stick to the 75-95 spine. You are shooting a very light arrow ( 5.28grs/lb ) and your FOC is actually 10.7% so there are no issues there. Shooting a heavier arrow will be easier on your limbs and likely shoot quieter with less felt hand shock. With that kind of power from a long draw length and heavy poundage bow you might as well use it to your advantage and pick up some arrow weight and kinetic energy. Adding a couple inches on your arrows is an easy fix. Shooting an arrow with a broadhead that is almost 3 inches shorter than your draw length is not necessary and would make me nervous as hell. By the way when I owned a Patriot I shot arrows the exact length of my Draw length and it worked perfectly.

Quick Reply: Stay with Gold Tip XT hunters or is there something new and better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.