Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best way to measure draw length >

Best way to measure draw length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best way to measure draw length

Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Best way to measure draw length

hey guys, i want to know the most accurate way to measure draw length. i have never been measured. i have been shooting an old pse given to me by a friend and i don't even know the dl on it. but now i am looking for a new bow and i need to know so i can buy one
Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best way to measure draw length

Form a T with your arms and body back up against a wall. Measure from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5. Whilethe resultsmay not be wrote in stone, it will give you a good place to start and it could be right on the money.

Dan
Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've done the "T"with my arms and the math said I had a 30" draw. But yet when properly measured at the bow shop (long bow with a pre-measured dowel rod in 1/2" increments permanently attached to the string), the bowshop accurately measured me at a 29" draw. So, I'm a 29" draw...

Bama44, find a bowshop or reputable sporting goods store with an archery section, and get measured. They'll probably have the longbow with the dowel rod sitting around there to measure you.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Form a T with your arms and body back up against a wall. Measure from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5. While the results may not be wrote in stone, it will give you a good place to start and it could be right on the money.

Dan

Thats a great way to get close. And going in blind thats what I recommend.

The bow method that ButchA refers to works... if you have decent form and keep your head up straight.

What Dan writes illudes to the real truth... and that is that bows are just like shoes.... a size 11.5 Nike might be the same as a size 11 New Balance (infact it is because thats what I wear... Nikes always run small). There is really no set in stone standard as to what constitutes 11 vs 12 etc... just roundabout guidelines.

And so it is with bows.... Bear... for example... notoriously short, especially when you get out to the longer draws 29"+... in my opinion its a poor design because they give 30" and 31" draw shooters nothing but problems. High Country.... runs a little long... I have a Mathews LX as my backup bow set at 29" and its a hair short... my High Country Iron Mace is set at 29", but measured AMO/ATA it is really 29.5" (which is my draw length as its measured).

Don't worry about hitting it right on the head... all I ever use it for is a starting off point...I adjust it til its just right for the individual.... any tech worth their Allen wrench set will do the same.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a pro shop measure my draw once, they took three attempts and got a different measurement each time. The difference was only about 1/2" each way, so I took the one in the middle, and I shoot just fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Form a T with your arms and body back up against a wall. Measure from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5. While the results may not be wrote in stone, it will give you a good place to start and it could be right on the money.

Dan

Thats a great way to get close. And going in blind thats what I recommend.

The bow method that ButchA refers to works... if you have decent form and keep your head up straight.

What Dan writes illudes to the real truth... and that is that bows are just like shoes.... a size 11.5 Nike might be the same as a size 11 New Balance (infact it is because thats what I wear... Nikes always run small). There is really no set in stone standard as to what constitutes 11 vs 12 etc... just roundabout guidelines.

And so it is with bows.... Bear... for example... notoriously short, especially when you get out to the longer draws 29"+... in my opinion its a poor design because they give 30" and 31" draw shooters nothing but problems. High Country.... runs a little long... I have a Mathews LX as my backup bow set at 29" and its a hair short... my High Country Iron Mace is set at 29", but measured AMO/ATA it is really 29.5" (which is my draw length as its measured).

Don't worry about hitting it right on the head... all I ever use it for is a starting off point...I adjust it til its just right for the individual.... any tech worth their Allen wrench set will do the same.
Swamp hit the nail on the head.

Using a long bow with a dowel rod will only ball park you as good as the "T" method. There are too many variables and unless you use your release it will not be the same as shooting fingers.

The bow has a lot to do with it. The size of the grip will shorten or lengthen your DL. Bowtechs typically have no grip between you and the riser while Mathews has a thick grip that shortens the DL by 1/4" or more.

Then you get into form and such which can/will change the DL by an inch. Hand placement, elbow bend,shoulder out or tucked, headforward, backward or where it belongs all affect DL. You get the idea.

This is where a good tech comes in. He will measure you, (Or have enough experience to tell by looking at you.) then start having you shoot bows and adjust as needed. If you are new to the sport find a good shop. Even if you are not having a good shop really helps.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Spike

The advice above sounds really great! Just to throw my 2 cents in find a decent Pro Shop or someone that has some idea of what they are talking about because I've been to a lot of shops that are there just to sell you a bow. They don't know any thing about selecting the right equipment. I now am very picky of what archery shop I go to.

I hope this helps

Jeff
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Then you get into form and such which can/will change the DL by an inch. Hand placement, elbow bend, shoulder out or tucked, head forward, backward or where it belongs all affect DL. You get the idea.

Then you get into the female shooter.... who may well require a bow a full inch or even more shorter than her measure because of the build of the female arm. If she is well endowed (I'm trying to be PC here...) then the measurement (no pun intended) is thrown off even more. A lot of women (but for some reason not all) it seems almost have a double jointed elbow that sticks out convex toward the path of the string when they extend their bow arms.... I'm sure its just a different build of bone or joint that the Lord saw fit... but thats how it is... and as dave put it... form has a lot to do with it.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may as well throw all of those measuring methods out the window.

No two bows are set up to have the same draw length. Many of them fib at least alittle to get their published speeds to look good on paper. Mathews is usually about a 1/2 inch longer thantproper ATA DL. Bowtech is generally pretty close to proper ATA draw length. PSE is another that fibs on their draw lengths. No two bows will measure to have the same draw length.

If you are a true 29" DL you would likely fit perfectly into a Mathews with a 28.5 inch cam. Same for PSE.

Measure your draw length on the bow that you intend to purchase.

Most of the time I can look at someone and guess within a half inch of what they fit into.
Sometimes I run into someone that is just built funny and I am a little more off.