Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue >

Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue

Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue

Alright, I finally received my replacement part for my press, so I could get back to work on timing my cams on my 101st. Well, I got them to where they are just missing the cables when the o-ring is completely compressed. Problem is now the cables are not sitting in the center of the cable stop channels. In fact, as I draw the bow back, you can hear the edge of the cable clipping the outside edge of the cable stop. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening, but I can assume it's not good. Below, I've included pictures of the cams at full draw so you can see what I'm talking about:

Bottom Cam:

Top Cam:

Any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue

What is the greything on the left side axel in picture?Is that how it is supposed to be?It looks like cam is leaning.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MECHDOC

What is the greything on the left side axel in picture?Is that how it is supposed to be?It looks like cam is leaning.
That's the draw stop peg, and yes that's how it's supposed to be. I was guessing cam lean initially, but looking at it when it's drawn back from several angles, I can't notice any significant lean.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Host of Hosts

Are your cables crossed correctly on the rollers?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

Are your cables crossed correctly on the rollers?
I believe so. Green cable on the outside roller, brown on the inside. Otherwise, the cables would actually cross. I could be wrong here, though.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be a lot of things, including torque being applied with the way you are bringing it to full draw. I didn't do any of this stuff with my Constitution, just made sure the arrow**** the same spot from various parts of the draw cycle (creep tune), and that my DL was perfect.When the rubber meets the road a good creep tune and decent arrow flight is all that really matters when it comes to timing.With what I did to set mine up, it shoots good enough for me to hit 16 X's on a 30 target course from the open stakes yesterday.......[8D].

Also as a side note.................it scares the crap outta meseeing you guys use a hook in the rafters to check this stuff. One mistake and that bow would take your head off on the way back up, and god only knows what would happen if that hook came out. Seriously, build yourself a draw board. It's only gonna cost you like $50 and it way safer than what your doing and much more practical as well.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Could be a lot of things, including torque being applied with the way you are bringing it to full draw. I didn't do any of this stuff with my Constitution, just made sure the arrow**** the same spot from various parts of the draw cycle (creep tune), and that my DL was perfect.When the rubber meets the road a good creep tune and decent arrow flight is all that really matters when it comes to timing.With what I did to set mine up, it shoots good enough for me to hit 16 X's on a 30 target course from the open stakes yesterday.......[8D].

Also as a side note.................it scares the crap outta meseeing you guys use a hook in the rafters to check this stuff. One mistake and that bow would take your head off on the way back up, and god only knows what would happen if that hook came out. Seriously, build yourself a draw board. It's only gonna cost you like $50 and it way safer than what your doing and much more practical as well.
The cable stop edges are actually hitting my cables though, which is a concerning since the cable should obviously be hitting in the center of the channel. It could quite possibly be due to the torque from me drawing it from the hook. I'm going to get around to building a draw board, but a 3/4"x4" j-hook set into a floor joist probably isn't going to go anywhere...the bow could take your head of if you're not careful though when you let it up

As to creep tuning, I'm not sure exactly how well I will be able to creep tune this thing. It about wants to rip my arm out of its socket whenever I catch myself creeping. There's very little valley on these things, so it may be hard to shoot from the front of it, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

The cable stop edges are actually hitting my cables though, which is a concerning since the cable should obviously be hitting in the center of the channel. It could quite possibly be due to the torque from me drawing it from the hook. I'm going to get around to building a draw board, but a 3/4"x4" j-hook set into a floor joist probably isn't going to go anywhere...the bow could take your head of if you're not careful though when you let it up

As to creep tuning, I'm not sure exactly how well I will be able to creep tune this thing. It about wants to rip my arm out of its socket whenever I catch myself creeping. There's very little valley on these things, so it may be hard to shoot from the front of it, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
The Constitution's mini binaries don't have much valley to them either. Just creep a bit up and out of the valley on the front edge of it......if you collapse on a shot that's where it's going to break from. If your shooting using tension in the right places to hold your form (rhomboids) this will not be comfortable but you should still be able to hold well enough for a few shots to see where they hit. If you can hit a horizontal piece of tape from the front of the valley, middle, and pulling real hard into the back wall all at 20 yards.........then you can forget about all this cam timing nonsense and start worrying about what really matters........the guy behind it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

....then you can forget about all this cam timing nonsense and start worrying about what really matters........the guy behind it.
I suck, so I'm trying to come up with technical excuses In all seriousness, though, I went out and did some blank baling just now and was looking at my cable stops when drawn normally, and sure enough, the cables are not centered (they're sitting offset in the channel). What's worse is my cables have wear marks now where they cable stops are pinching when they come to rest. Should this be of concern?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

....then you can forget about all this cam timing nonsense and start worrying about what really matters........the guy behind it.
I suck, so I'm trying to come up with technical excuses In all seriousness, though, I went out and did some blank baling just now and was looking at my cable stops when drawn normally, and sure enough, the cables are not centered (they're sitting offset in the channel). What's worse is my cables have wear marks now where they cable stops are pinching when they come to rest. Should this be of concern?
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Bowtech Guys...And non-bowtech...cable stop issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.