Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How are youth hunters?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM

Default How are youth hunters?

With out getting into a mess like the KE/momentum question. How are youth hunters taking down big game such as elk when pulling less than 50#? I am shotting a Browning Rage1 with a draw wieght of 70# andarrows that weigh 321.85g with a speed of 242fps. Even if I change to a heavier arrow the most KE I can get with out zeroing or loosing to much fps is 41.86ft lbs, the heavier arrows slow the bow down to much. Oh by the way I have a 25" draw. Just wondering I plan on going elk hunting and according to a chart I found on the Gold Tip site to take an elk it requires 50ft lbs.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: How are youth hunters?

You want to increase arrow wieght. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with my 58lb recurve with 650gr arrow only shooting 170fps. I have blown thru deer before hitting shoulder bone. Shot placment is everything of course.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

idk but i dont c how this would work either.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

I am about the same config as you; 25" DL, 60# DW, 360 grn arrow, & about 240-260 fps. I took down elks before. You should have no problem taking down elks. It depends on what your regulation said. In WA, it only requires 40# DW,6+ grn/#, and minimum of 300 grn arrow. I believe the key is 6+ grn/#.

Only thing I want to point out is that you're shooting below 5 grn/#. Best to shoot at least 5 grn/# or more for hunting.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:31 PM
bigcountry

You guys are crazy going elk hunting with a 360gr arrow. Put a real hunters arrow on that badboy. 600gr, maybe 650gr.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You guys are crazy going elk hunting with a 360gr arrow. Put a real hunters arrow on that badboy. 600gr, maybe 650gr.
Ditto hget an arrow thats got some THUMP to it.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It just proves that KE and super high speeds don't really matter for hunting.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Getting close and using good shot placement. Most of todays modern youth bows will get numbers close to an average traditional set up which has killed big game for centuries. A pass through is nice, but you can kill an animal without it. You get that arrow in the lungs and the animal will die. Tracking skills don't hurt any either.

I agree with the others, light arrows are ok of you are shooting a really efficient set up, but once you start getting down in draw weight and draw length or us an inefficient bow you should be looking at arrow of at LEAST 400 grns.

Paul
Old 05-24-2008, 10:31 AM

I'm gonna call bull (literally) on the ridiculously heavy arrows. Heavier arrows will help, but there's no free lunch. Trajectory needs some consideration as well. If I were to go on an elk hunt, I would choose Axis/FMJ's arrows and heavy duty cut on contact broadhead like a Muzzy Phantom without the bleeders. My 25" Axis obssession arrows and 100gr. Silverflames weigh a total 360 grains. That's a touch over 7 grains per pound.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:35 AM

I agree with the others, light arrows are ok of you are shooting a really efficient set up, but once
ORIGINAL: Buckless1

With out getting into a mess like the KE/momentum question. How are youth hunters taking down big game such as elk when pulling less than 50#? I am shotting a Browning Rage1 with a draw wieght of 70# andarrows that weigh 321.85g with a speed of 242fps. Even if I change to a heavier arrow the most KE I can get with out zeroing or loosing to much fps is 41.86ft lbs, the heavier arrows slow the bow down to much. Oh by the way I have a 25" draw. Just wondering I plan on going elk hunting and according to a chart I found on the Gold Tip site to take an elk it requires 50ft lbs.
Please don't take offense, but my 50lb bow generates about the same KE as your setup does at 70. Certainly the equipment makes a difference.

Quick Reply: How are youth hunters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.