Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feather problem

Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default feather problem

Ok here is the thing, i put 3 inch feathers on my arrows. I also stuck a new whisker for my biscuit on my bow. well when i went to shot the bow was way off. well i sighted it in. But it is not getting good groups and i can shot the arrow 2 times and one time will shot ok the way of. I was using 4 inch plastic vanes. Now does anyone no what might be wrong? I mean where they fletched wrong or somthing. I also turned the nock and it made it go on more and when i did not turn it, it was shotting way off.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: feather problem

I also stuck a new whisker for my biscuit on my bow.
Well there's yer problem! [8D]

Feathers are going through the rest without nearly so much drag and interference as the vanes were having. With guaranteed 100% fletching contact, you can't reasonably expect feather fletched arrows to shoot exactly the same as vane fletched arrows. The two different materials don't react to contact anywhere near the same.

You also removed about 20 grains of weight off the tail end of the arrow and increased your FOC. Feathers will also cause your arrows to react a bit stiffer, but you've mediated that effect by going with shorter feathers with less stabilizing surface area, as compared to the 4" vanes. But those are minor differences, in the big picture.

I think the biggie is, you had the bow tuned with an old, worn out bisquit and now you've got a new one that's stiffer, with a round hole that hasn't been worn down and egged out yet. There's no guarantee the hole in the new bisquit is centered exactly like the old one was and, even if it is, there's no guarantee you got the new one seated in the mount exactly like the old one. So, most likely, the rest is holding the arrow a bit differently.

You can't reasonably expect to make changes to a setup and not expect to have to do some more work to make it shoot right again. You've got to retune.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Art, won't going from vanes to feathers reduce the dynamic spine of the arrows? I think you got that wrong. Along with the other stuff you said, which I agree with, his arrows might be acting underspined now. That's especially true if they were on the edge to begin with.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It aint the feathers friend , Probably a tuneing issue . Have someone "in the know" look at your bow and watch you shoot it
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Hey Art, won't going from vanes to feathers reduce the dynamic spine of the arrows? I think you got that wrong. Along with the other stuff you said, which I agree with, his arrows might be acting underspined now. That's especially true if they were on the edge to begin with.
Thats what I thought too. Not to step on any toes here.... Art if you got it backwards its a rare event... I've learned a lot reading your posts.

Who put the feathers on for you? If you did it yourself what kind of jig did you use... have you tried numbering them to find out if its an arrow issue? Most likely though, as said... I'd recheck the nock height and reset the center shot first... once you are confident that they are correct... then I'd be concerned.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

the shop did them and i did number them and there was 3 that was off and was off and had to be redone