Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum? >

What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

You know what they say about ALWAYS![8D]
Yes I do, and sometimes ALWAYS is the correct term. Just as force is ALWAYS a function of mass and acceleration, and trajectory is ALWAYS a function of velocity and g, bow efficiency is ALWAYS an increasingfunction of arrow mass and therefore,ke/momentum always ALWAYS increase as you increase the mass of the arrow. The increase may be small but it will ALWAYS be an increase. As I said before, it's fundamental mechanics. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of books and internet sites where you can find out for yourself.

Have a great day!
I don't need a Book to tell me my Airborne 82 produces more KE shooting a 400 grain arrow than it does while shooting a 500 grain arrow. I weighed the arrows, shot them through my Chrono, and run the figures through the calculator.

Then I double checked them for accuracy.

It is a fact if you don't want to believe it, that's your choice

When I dropped to a 340 grain arrow KE dropped slightly as you would expect. I guess my Airborne forgot to read the Book[8D]

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allrighty then! You've got one amazing bow there!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Allrighty then! You've got one amazing bow there!
I knew that the moment I shot it!

I'm not arguing theories. As I have shot and tested tons of bows in the 40 years I have been in archery. I had never came across it before. Usually there is a gain as the arrow gets heavier, however insignificant it might be.

I just stated the facts and figures as they came out.

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM

I have not hunted a grizz but I have talked to two guys that have and what ever setup will take a black bear will take down down a mature grizz. Their equipmet was the same they use for whitetail deer and with one arrow they have their bears. Your present setup will do it just make sure you know what your POI is with thedifferent yardages and practice. You'll only get one arrow.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

www.archersadvantage.com

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

You know what they say about ALWAYS![8D]
Yes I do, and sometimes ALWAYS is the correct term. Just as force is ALWAYS a function of mass and acceleration, and trajectory is ALWAYS a function of velocity and g, bow efficiency is ALWAYS an increasing function of arrow mass and therefore, ke/momentum always ALWAYS increase as you increase the mass of the arrow. The increase may be small but it will ALWAYS be an increase. As I said before, it's fundamental mechanics. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of books and internet sites where you can find out for yourself.

Have a great day!
I don't need a Book to tell me my Airborne 82 produces more KE shooting a 400 grain arrow than it does while shooting a 500 grain arrow. I weighed the arrows, shot them through my Chrono, and run the figures through the calculator.

Then I double checked them for accuracy.

It is a fact if you don't want to believe it, that's your choice

When I dropped to a 340 grain arrow KE dropped slightly as you would expect. I guess my Airborne forgot to read the Book[8D]

Dan
Probably hit the "sweet" spot for your bow!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I put a 100 pound weight on a scale and the scale read 100 pounds and then I added a 1 pound weight and the scale read 99 pounds, I would conclude there is something wrong with the scale. I wouldn't conclude that sometimes more mass = less weight.

Adding mass to a scale ALWAYS results in more force exerted on the scale. Increasing arrow mass ALWAYS results in increased ke. In either case, if testing indicates otherwise then something is amiss.

The fact that increasing arrow mass results in increased ke may not be as intuitively obvious as the fact thatincreasing the mass of an objectresults in an increase in the force exerted on the earth, but both are equally true.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I put a 100 pound weight on a scale and the scale read 100 pounds and then I added a 1 pound weight and the scale read 99 pounds, I would conclude there is something wrong with the scale. I wouldn't conclude that sometimes more mass = less weight.

Adding mass to a scale ALWAYS results in more force exerted on the scale. Increasing arrow mass ALWAYS results in increased ke. In either case, if testing indicates otherwise then something is amiss.
I think I'll shoot a 2# arrow then

or maybe a 20#er[8D]

Dan
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I think I'll shoot a 2# arrow then

or maybe a 20#er[8D]

Dan
Hey go for it! But for surethe 2 pound arrow will have less ke than the 20 pounder.

Be interesting to see the bow that could handle those arrows!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sylvan, I ran those tests using the same grain scale, same chrono, same bow, set on the same specs, same shooter, then double checked for accuracy, and same calculator.[8D]

I am sure a 20# arrow would be a dud. If you choose not to believe my findings. Honestly I could care less

It does Not change the figures one bit

Dan

Quick Reply: What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.